Discuss EICR price work, thoughts please.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Which again seriously undermines the "statements" of the NICEIC - and before anyone shouts me down, they stand for improving standards ............................... which doing EICR's for £40 is absolutely NOT going to improve ANYTHING, least of all the companies bank balance or profitability.
Might improve their bank ballancein the short term Mate, someone will cotton on sooner or later.

£40 is stupid ! Your not going to be able to test properly and make a living on that price.

For £40 realistically all they are going to get a quick visual inspection , Ze at DB with bonding still connected PSC, Zs reading taken at approx the furthest point. RCD tests, Maybe ring continuity if the tester can be bothered.
30mins Labour 30mins filling in sheet.
The £15 remedial, change broken twin socket.

Depending where you and the cost of living I'd say between £20 and £30 a circuit is a fair price for testing.

What you need to remember is the OP is being offered £40 plus £15 for any remedial works. This does not mean the contractor he is subbing for is getting this amount, they could be getting more per site but giving the subby peanuts with the possible incentive they will churn out the work earning the contractor lots of money.

I left a company not that long ago that started doing this kind of work.
2 sparks to do an eicr and replace every accessory in the flats usually 2 or 3 bedrooms
They were wanting 4 a day to make a price.
We were getting 2 done with no breaks and on site from 8 til 4.30 and doing the paper work at night so no price made just on hourly rate. They had the cheek to question why we couldnt do more as other sqauds were getting 4 done and finished for 2.30.

We had to go back and change a couple accessories in one of their houses. First one we went to there was no main earth cable atall. Couldnt make it up i quit not long after.

Sure there be
Tbey had the cheek to question why we couldnt do more as other sqauds were getting 4 done and finished for 2.30.

We had to go back and chamgw a couplw accessories in one of their houses. First one we went to there was no main earth cable atall. Couldnt make it up i quot not lomg after.
5in1 kitchen cleaner.jpg

Knew a bloke who used this along with Jif (as it was known back then)

Not even a bedsit?
No, not even for a bedsit.
I charge a day rate, as I couldn’t say in advance how long it will take and I would not be able to book other work for that day.
Saying that though, there was an occasion when I didn’t charge at all. Inspected a mate’s mum’s house after a rewireable fuse and blown due to a faulty cooker.
Whoever installed the cookertried to scare her into having a require.
After a fairly short inspection and the normal tests, I explained to her there was nothing really wrong, the fuse had done exactly what it should have done, and that a require just wasn’t worth the expense.

Last edited by a moderator:
An EICR for £40 or £50 domestic is a joke...it is less than a rare visual I have charged for. I agree with most of the previous comments here. Ask yourself this.....what if something went wrong but you missed the obvious or did not carry out all the tests ?.....who's name is on the report ??. I have come across "letter box" electricians boasting 4-5 properties a day...but the written reports were less than useless....excessive use of the term "Lim" for test results. I have charged 4x cct flat for £120 four years ago...today £160. Av house around £190. The report is an MOT for the electrical installation with emphasis on SAFETY. I rejected (last year) £150 EICR from a letting agent for a two bed flat with 10x circuits incl PAT testing all heaters and appliances. I get it, it is hard sometimes when work is slow or you want to keep "regulars" happy but to what cost to yourself ? There will always be someone cheaper but cheaper for a reason !!....walk away with valid feedback that it is not economically viable or safe for the owner/occupants on that cost basis.

Which again seriously undermines the "statements" of the NICEIC - and before anyone shouts me down, they stand for improving standards ............................... which doing EICR's for £40 is absolutely NOT going to improve ANYTHING, least of all the companies bank balance or profitability.
Improving cashflow would be a better anology Murdoch

I've thought about this a bit, if I were in this situation and this was the only work on the table then in this case I think I would establish a firm set of rules with the person's ordering the work first.

1) Every EICR I carried out I'd want the EIC so I could suitably compair the results, I'd only be happy to sample such a small amount and give it a suitable interval if I could suitably compare results with the original certificate, maximum time being 5 year's.

2) Id specifiy exactly what tests are going to be carried out (which we all agree would be minimal for that price) I'd make it clear in writing first and specify that this must be recorded on the test sheet so no pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, and the inspector is covering himself. (The reason I say this is because I know some company's have admin staff that type these tests up)

3) If no orignal EIC are provided,with satisfactory results I'd have to recommend the date of next test to be carried out the following year as only minimal test were carried out.
If they didn't like this Id explain that test intervals are only for guidance now, and it's down to the profession judgement of the inspector.

Last edited:
didn't like this Id explain that test intervals are only for guidance now, and it's down to the profession judgement of the inspector.
That was always the case. They are only guidance for the period until the first Periodic Inspection and then the inspector will make a judgement about the timeframe during that for the next Periodic Inspection.

Reply to EICR price work, thoughts please.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net