Discuss EICR Remedials query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Trickyd66

Hi All, new to the Forum so please go gentle!. Just been asked to provide estimate for some remedial works to an office from EICR to rectify code 2 defects as insurance company want completed. Apart from the old favourite of wood framed wylex boards (code 2, but IMO 3) (no mention of no RCD to sockets used by ordinary persons). Happy to change the db's to RCD/RCBO/MCB.

Main query is that the only other code 2 is -
"Consumer unit/ DB 4.7. Operation of main switch (function check) (613.13.2) Comment. The main isolators located within the mains intake position appear to be very dated. The integrity of the switch and its ability to function correctly can therefore not be guaranteed"

I always look that it that an EICR is a factual report on the electrical safety of the installation at the time of testing / inspection. Surely the inspector should have tested the operation and functionality of the said isolators at the time of testing and noted if they were actually faulty, not implied that because they are old require replacement under a code 2 deeming the installation unsatisfactory. IMO the good old Metalclad Wylex 60A SF will outlast anything I fit today!!

I would code 3 at best....... Any opinions out there?

Thanks

Tricky

What a load of tosh! Code 2 my backside! Going on what you've posted If you can convince the client/insurance company to have it re-tested by someone who knows what they're doing would generate a 'satisfactory' thus avoiding any unnecessary work!

Thanks for the above... Not sure that as a sole trader I want to go against a large company who EICR'd the installation. For note though on the coding above ref RCD on sockets, ESC guidance is a 2 for no RCD on sockets... Would have difficulties arguing this on a domestic property for rental. ??

Thanks for the above... Not sure that as a sole trader I want to go against a large company who EICR'd the installation. For note though on the coding above ref RCD on sockets, ESC guidance is a 2 for no RCD on sockets... Would have difficulties arguing this on a domestic property for rental. ??

Why not ? Don't be scared of them. If you can write a letter referencing regs and sources of guidance to EICR that prove you are right then that's all you need to do.
They won't be able to do the same unless they are basing their EICR on opinion, in which case it is worthless.

Code 2 for lack of RCD on sockets is only applicable where outdoor equipment is likely to be used. C3 otherwise.
No code for wooden frame.
No code for properly functioning switch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 71

Reply to EICR Remedials query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net