Discuss Electric shock whilst washing up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
A colleague of mine has mentioned that they have experienced electric shock symptoms whilst washing up. They say that all the circuits in the kitchen are protected by RCD so assuming they are working ok, it rules out the theory that there is an electrical circuit problem.

Possible earthing problem?? Can anyone provide any information what may be causing it and how it could be fixed. Many thanks

There are many possibilities here and far too little information. They need to get an experienced competent electrician to make this safe.

You can still get a shock on an RCD protected circuit, it hurts but doesn't normally cause death.

Sorry.....has the circus arrived in Town?? Cos that's a clowning around statement.

Although not a requirement, I still supplementary bond sinks, I have had instances where the S.S. sink is live but not the taps. Due to the sealing washer at the base of single taps insulating them from the sink. On one instance there was a leak from the bath from above the kitchen causing the walls to be damp and finding contact with a live terminal on a socket on the same wall. Causing the sink to become live, and the person to recieve a shock when touching both the taps and sink. The RCD didn't trip despite finding it within spec after testing it.

Could it possibly be the sink and ground being at different potential. Reason for asking is it is an old house and may not have a proper damp course membrane. My colleague had had a new laminate floor fitted and has not noticed it occurring since (possibly adding a further layer of insulation). The problem only occurred when they were washing up in the sink and had bare feet.

Proper shocks, don't think so. Static discharge?
To be on the safe side I'd assume it's an electrical fault until proven otherwise. I'd start with the usual electrical installation tests and a thorough visual inspection around the sink then depending what does or doesn't come to light go forward from there.

Yes either an insulation resistance test first, or just bond the sink to the already bonded pipework, and see if it blows or trips a circuit. It could even be a leaking pipe making the floor wet and making contact with live parts maybe in a juncton box or damaged cable, and causing the floor to become live, and causing a potential when they touch the sink or taps.

In which case, they will need to sort out the leak after you have checked it further.

Of course you can get a shock from an RCD protected circuit. If your body is conducting less current to earth than is required to trip the RCD (~20mA) it will still hurt, and not trip.

Snowy, so tell me why that cannot be a reasonable explanation.

Technically that could be the cause.

You'll have to ask Rockinit why he thinks it's a "Clowning around " statement.

My comment on getting a shock on an RCD circuit means don't rule out the source of the shock coming from an RCD circuit after you had put;

"it rules out the theory that there is an electrical circuit problem".

If someone reports / comments they've had a shock it needs immediate investigation.

Reply to Electric shock whilst washing up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net