Discuss Entering the world of self employment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all
After nearly 2 decades of living the easy life working as an electrical maintenance engineer, I'm stepping out into the big wide world of self employment.
I was wondering if any of you lovely lot could offer some advice on a few things. I've done a load of reading on the Internet but I'd rather hear it from the horses mouths.
As an inspection and tester, what competent person scheme is the best to go with?
Any recommendations on which site safety cards to get?
Thanks in advance guys, gals or whatever else you may class yourself as

I’m with Napit at mo been self employed 6 years, best thing you’ve done going on yer own make sure you can got plenty of contacts refurbs r good bread n butter Work n mixed other jobs in with that
Charged more n finished early lol

Stroma is the best scheme. It's a bit like the old Avis rent a car jingle, becuase we are second best we try harder and they do. A very fair and thorough assessment at a good price. No rudeness and cavalier attitudes and sky high prices which you get not a jot more for by the way.
I know some people swear by NICEIC for getting into contracts but they are only social housing contracts which you do not want, avoid like the plague!
You will need PI and indemnity insurance and will have to produce your 2391 or equivalent. Personally I mostly do commercial and it is wonderful compared to domestic. You just get on with the job put the invoice in and get paid. Unlike domestic which is fraught regards money from start to finish. With Stroma you can also get third party notification as well which can be useful. I do a lot of work for extensions and do third party for them which is great as first fix is done to my specs etc. Which saves me a lot of the grunt work.

Stroma is the best scheme. It's a bit like the old Avis rent a car jingle, becuase we are second best we try harder and they do. A very fair and thorough assessment at a good price. No rudeness and cavalier attitudes and sky high prices which you get not a jot more for by the way.
I know some people swear by NICEIC for getting into contracts but they are only social housing contracts which you do not want, avoid like the plague!
You will need PI and indemnity insurance and will have to produce your 2391 or equivalent. Personally I mostly do commercial and it is wonderful compared to domestic. You just get on with the job put the invoice in and get paid. Unlike domestic which is fraught regards money from start to finish. With Stroma you can also get third party notification as well which can be useful. I do a lot of work for extensions and do third party for them which is great as first fix is done to my specs etc. Which saves me a lot of the grunt work.
not just social housing contracts....many house builders and insurance companies to name a few. Stroma might be the best for you but it certainly wouldn’t be the best for me.

I would also recommend Stroma, as a new start up you will also get a good Pli and Public Indemnity through their partner insurers Arthur J Gallagher which will be far cheaper than you can get elsewhere. For tuppenth worth, being self employed is bloody hard work, get a decent accounting package and use it from day one, put every receipt and invoice in religiously or you will quickly end up chasing your rear.

Like it or not but Niceic is the most recognised and will open the most doors, I'm guessing stroke is ok for private domestic but from what I have encountered nearly insurance companies and councils want Niccy, and it's definitely Niccy for ind/commercial.

I'm with stroma and they are absolutely fine to work with. Recognised by all my customers, including commercial ones, and including the local council and building firms.

Only had one insurer stipulate niceic and wouldn't move, but they didn't know why, and their paperwork stated my eicr should be to the 16th edition. Two years ago. So clearly not sure what they are doing.

Make sure you have lots of fingers in different pies; you don’t want to be sat around waiting for work to come in.

I did 5 years of SE before giving it up. Probably should of given it longer, and was just starting to get ‘known’.

What have you done to secure work?

I fully accept and recognise that and I know it is the case for a number of people on here. Some even go so far as to suggest it is the only and best choice. That is where I start to baulk at such foolishness.
You stated Stroma is the best. You didn’t say in your opinion or so on, just a blanket statement that Stroma is the best. That’s a bald statement in my opinion.

You stated Stroma is the best
Very true and it is just my opinion. I should have qualified that statement. I was actually more suggesting it was best for the OP for cost and thoroughness. They have just upped their game and qualified to be able to give approved contractor status as well so they are developing. My own experiences of being with NICEIC have been very negative. As a matter of interest why did you not jump on the member who stated recently that NICEIC is the best?

Very true and it is just my opinion. I should have qualified that statement. I was actually more suggesting it was best for the OP for cost and thoroughness. They have just upped their game and qualified to be able to give approved contractor status as well so they are developing. My own experiences of being with NICEIC have been very negative. As a matter of interest why did you not jump on the member who stated recently that NICEIC is the best?
Can we have some specific concrete reasons, there seems to be this general thing of Bashing the Niceic but never with any sensible reasoning, don't get me wrong we all have different opinions and needs but it reminds me of the whole Apple vs Android divide.
I have been with the Niceic from day one because it made good business sense, it is the most recognised and accepted scheme so why would you not use them.
I get the feeling some people won't use them just to try and rebel against them.
I have never had a bad experience, they charge me an agreed price, they perform a thorough assessment every year, answer any questions or concerns I have and do it all in a professional manner.

I went Stroma for the first year going SE due to cost, during that time got in with estate agents and some commercial clients that insisted on NICEIC Approved Contractor status - which I've now been for 2 years.

You do pay a premium for NICEIC but as others have said they're the most recognised, if I were in your shoes I'd go the Stroma route and evaluate where you/your business are next year. The money saved from being with Stroma will contribute towards other items/tools you'll need starting up!

Report on here do indicate Stroma to be the most thorough - whether that is good or bad depends on your point of view!

Once registered with a scheme, you'll likely have the others calling you to suggest you might like to change. The trouble is, once you've printed business cards, flyers, maybe a van sign with a scheme logo, it is far too much trouble and cost to have to change it all. So try to choose wisely at the outset.

I think in the domestic world, hardly any customer has heard of any of them, and it probably doesn't matter. Odd estate agents, insurers etc seem to have heard of just NICEIC but don't really understand there are other schemes.

As mentioned, some who would specify NICEIC you really might not want to work for. E.g. councils, where you could be waiting many months to get paid.

Hi, I have been an employer for 20 years and self employed for the last 10, started with NICEIC then Elecsa then Stroma,
Stroma is the cheapest and by far the easiest going, for commercial/industrial NIC is probably better. I use icertifi for test certificates as the stroma online certs are hard going. I don't advertise and work on word of mouth and reputation, my customers are mainly domestic so I am not registered for VAT
Best of luck

I have not read anywhere in this thread, someone stating the NICEIC is the best...Could you please point it out? Thanks

It is not in this thread and I did not state it was. I do not wish to single out any particular member but you will no doubt be able to recall a recent addition to the forum who has made statements re NIC which have caused some controversy? and interestingly has meteorically risen in the ranks to Electricians Arms?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway @Ian bamber sorry about the digression as I am not a moderator there is little I can do to keep it on track but the moderators do get a bit touchy on the NICEIC subject it seems. But best of luck with your new venture. As you can see six people on this thread are using/recommending Stroma so there must be some reason for that to make it worthwhile your looking into.

Make sure you have lots of fingers in different pies; you don’t want to be sat around waiting for work to come in.

I did 5 years of SE before giving it up. Probably should of given it longer, and was just starting to get ‘known’.

I've managed to secure myself nearly 6 months worth of work doing refurbs. I have a small amount of repeat work too. I'm pushing wherever I can to get my name out there

Reply to Entering the world of self employment in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net