Discuss Extension sub fuse board were do tails go to ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you might need to elaborate or show some pics.
So I have a sub fuse board in an extension powering circuits for the extension . I just want to know we’re the tails from the main switch of the sub fuse board go to to get power as outside there are already tails in the main switch from the houses fuse board

So I have a sub fuse board in an extension powering circuits for the extension . I just want to know we’re the tails from the main switch of the sub fuse board go to to get power as outside there are already tails in the main switch from the houses fuse board
Have you started the job yet or are you just interested in learning?

Where is the sub-board located? Is it adjacent to the main board or is it remote from it?
What is switchgear is currently installed at the intake position?
Is there an isolator after the meter?

Why has a sub-board been installed?

I think all of us are struggling to understand exactly what you mean and davesparks (above) has asked some specific questions to try and clarify the layout of the new board and the existing stuff. Here a photo or two would be worth a hundred words or more.

If you have two CU side-by-side then normally you would split the meter tails using Henley blocks so they can feed both boards, but that is definitely not a DIY job and unless you already have a local isolator switch after the meter it also should involve the DNO to pull the main fuse safely from ther cut-out to allow the work to be done.

Depending on the age and condition of the cut-out the DNO might refuse to simply pull the fuse out of very real safety concerns and instead arrange for a new cut-out to be fitted first.

Perhaps he’s just installed the new DB for the extension without thinking about how he’s going to connect it back to the main house supply ? :oops:

Perhaps he’s just installed the new DB for the extension without thinking about how he’s going to connect it back to the main house supply ? :oops:
Well if that is the situation, especially if walls ceilings etc are all closed up.Then that could be a big problem, a stranded DB with no where to connect too. lol

funny you say that , I got called to a big extension at a house 6 or 7 years ago. A builder had just about finished the extension The electrics included were more or less complete with new consumer un the New extension.
the Builder did all this themselves But without running a suitable cable from original fuse board / meter position which was at the completely opposite side of the house.
we had to painstaking run a 16mm swa through various floor and wall voids and Eventually through the loft space..
they Just completely forgot to do this at the first fix stage.

My money is on it being a sub-board fed from the main board off an MCB on which case the Land N go into the top of the RCD incomer on your sub-board - That is assuming your sub-board is just similar to garage board with an RCD incomer and X amount of MCBs.

See;
View: https://youtu.be/oWl3PgmXEV8

The official advise (consensus advice) is to please get an electrician to do the work.

Reply to Extension sub fuse board were do tails go to ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net