Discuss Feeling shortchanged by my training provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

MK1

-
Reaction score
Halfway through my level 3 diploma with an electrical training provider just outside of Nottingham. Doing practical exams at the moment - inspection and testing, fault finding - but haven’t had any practical tuition yet!

I can’t make sense of this from reading the city and guilds books alone. Is this what it’s meant to be like? I sort of expected someone would stand in front of a consumer unit and tell us how to diagnose faults, not just stick us straight into an exam?

I seriously don’t know how I’m going to pass this and for the amount of money I’ve paid I don’t really get what I’m paying for. What are other people’s experience of the 2365 level 3?

Halfway through my level 3 diploma with an electrical training provider just outside of Nottingham. Doing practical exams at the moment - inspection and testing, fault finding - but haven’t had any practical tuition yet!

I can’t make sense of this from reading the city and guilds books alone. Is this what it’s meant to be like? I sort of expected someone would stand in front of a consumer unit and tell us how to diagnose faults, not just stick us straight into an exam?

I seriously don’t know how I’m going to pass this and for the amount of money I’ve paid I don’t really get what I’m paying for. What are other people’s experience of the 2365 level 3?
That's short training courses for you Mate, some good, most bad.

Approach a local electrician company and ask if you can volenteer to shadow one of their guys or gals on the tools.
I’m sure if you explain properly, the company might view you as a future employee

I did mine in college, leading up to the test they taught us how to use several items of test equipment and we made notes while doing it, then a couple of weeks later we had to do the tests ourselves with our notes and the grace of God to help us. We were only interfered with if we were about to test a live AC connection with the tester set to DC or other things that might break the college equipment.

I know I'd have to check my notes again before I did any testing on 3 phase or RCDs.

I did mine in college, leading up to the test they taught us how to use several items of test equipment and we made notes while doing it, then a couple of weeks later we had to do the tests ourselves with our notes and the grace of God to help us. We were only interfered with if we were about to test a live AC connection with the tester set to DC or other things that might break the college equipment.

I know I'd have to check my notes again before I did any testing on 3 phase or RCDs.
Oh my!

@MK1 , my original answer was somewhat short (was in the pizza queue at Asda). Is there anything in particular you're struggling with or is the whole lot?

As @Pete999 says, check out those guys on YouTube. Both produce some fantastic videos that cover a whole range of topics.

What course are you doing in terms of days? Is it one of these distance learning or is it one where they try and sling everything in within 4 or 5 weeks?

Thanks all.

@SparkyChick I’m lost with it all. They’ve not really explained the assessment but I think I’ll have to identify a number of faults via dead tests - continuity, polarity and insulation resistance. Then say how I would rectify them. I don’t feel I know enough about any of the tests to know which test to do to find each fault.

Sorry - I sound like a bloody idiot but there’s been literally no practical guidance and I’m struggling with finding anything useful in the books.

(It’s an evening course, over about a year so I really don’t know why they aren’t doing any practice stuff)

So how about you start by telling me what testing you've covered and how well you think you understand it? You can do that here or you can drop me a PM if you'd prefer.

Yes @Edtwozeronine it is a bit poor! We haven’t had any practical tuition and all the guys are absolutely panicking over how the hell we’re meant to pass this.

I’m in the PMs so hopefully I can get there. The test is tomorrow so it would be a bloody miracle but I can only do my best.

MK, I would spend all day today watching John ward and Chris kitcher,and take SC up on her offer (she’s the oracle around here) would also download the pdf instructions for the MFT your centre uses if you know which make n model they are,getting to grips with your tester settings will save you valuable time and is one less thing to have to think about....and good luck mate!

Reply to Feeling shortchanged by my training provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net