Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Feeling shortchanged by my training provider in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. MK1

MK1 EF Member

Halfway through my level 3 diploma with an electrical training provider just outside of Nottingham. Doing practical exams at the moment - inspection and testing, fault finding - but haven’t had any practical tuition yet!

I can’t make sense of this from reading the city and guilds books alone. Is this what it’s meant to be like? I sort of expected someone would stand in front of a consumer unit and tell us how to diagnose faults, not just stick us straight into an exam?

I seriously don’t know how I’m going to pass this and for the amount of money I’ve paid I don’t really get what I’m paying for. What are other people’s experience of the 2365 level 3?

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    That's short training courses for you Mate, some good, most bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MK1

MK1 EF Member

Any tips? Any good online resources for fault finding in particular? I’ve really struggled to find anything.

4. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Approach a local electrician company and ask if you can volenteer to shadow one of their guys or gals on the tools.
    I’m sure if you explain properly, the company might view you as a future employee

• Like Like x 1
  5. Edtwozeronine

Edtwozeronine Regular EF Member

I did mine in college, leading up to the test they taught us how to use several items of test equipment and we made notes while doing it, then a couple of weeks later we had to do the tests ourselves with our notes and the grace of God to help us. We were only interfered with if we were about to test a live AC connection with the tester set to DC or other things that might break the college equipment.

I know I'd have to check my notes again before I did any testing on 3 phase or RCDs.

6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Oh my!

7. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    For test and inspect, get yourself a copy of guidance note 3. Most helpful.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    You could try YOUTUBE Chris Kircher or John Ward

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    @MK1@MK1 , my original answer was somewhat short (was in the pizza queue at Asda). Is there anything in particular you're struggling with or is the whole lot?

As @Pete999@Pete999 says, check out those guys on YouTube. Both produce some fantastic videos that cover a whole range of topics.

10. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

Pizza Mmmmmmmmmmmm,sorry what we’re talking about?

11. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    ?????????///

12. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    @MK1@MK1 , the thing with testing is that the mechanics of doing it are pretty straightforward if you understand what you're testing and why. Where it gets complicated is interpreting the results.

If you'd like, I'm quite happy to walk you through the various stages on here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

What course are you doing in terms of days? Is it one of these distance learning or is it one where they try and sling everything in within 4 or 5 weeks?

14. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

Sorry Pete got distracted by SC mentioning pizza..

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MK1

MK1 EF Member

Thanks all.

@SparkyChick@SparkyChick I’m lost with it all. They’ve not really explained the assessment but I think I’ll have to identify a number of faults via dead tests - continuity, polarity and insulation resistance. Then say how I would rectify them. I don’t feel I know enough about any of the tests to know which test to do to find each fault.

Sorry - I sound like a bloody idiot but there’s been literally no practical guidance and I’m struggling with finding anything useful in the books.

(It’s an evening course, over about a year so I really don’t know why they aren’t doing any practice stuff)