• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

oracle

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Having worked on site with women, they seem to come in two forms, one a really good worker or Barbie with "Eeew, I broke a nail".

Probably if there were a lot more ladies in the trade there would be more of a cross section

Having worked on site with women, they seem to come in two forms, one a really good worker or Barbie with "Eeew, I broke a nail".

Probably if there were a lot more ladies in the trade there would be more of a cross section
I see a lot of that on site with men too. No different. I wish there were more woman tradespeople in the construction industry.

Plenty of men like that as well these days,what difference does it make male or female long as they know what they doing?

Although apparently harmless,the original question could be taken as the starter's gun,for yet another sexist debate...then it's sparks of different colour,age,heritage,town and height...

There are lots of missing groups,in the electrical world,and gender is one of them. So are knowledge,patience and acceptance.

Being female,in the trade,should have nothing to do with it.

Between Rose West,and me mum,is every variation from worst to best,and singling out gender as a reason for either...is dodgy territory ;)

If I break a nail it gets cut off with my Knipex side cutters or filed down with a great big Stanley flat file :D

I wish there were more woman tradespeople in the construction industry.

All I'm going to say is you need to be careful what you wish for. It may seem like a nice idea to have more women around, but trust me, there is a very good chance that as the number of women in a male dominated work force increases, the number of problems faced by the men will increase.

You may get lucky and get a load of chicks like me, who prefer beer, bad language, smutty jokes and a pint down the pub with the boys, but I think what's more likely is you'll get snowflakes who are there through affirmative action programs designed to address the non-problem of gender imbalance in the workforce.

I'm thinking about how I expand my business when it comes to it. Do I simply hire men and keep it simple or do I hire a mixture and possibly run the risk of exposing the men to the threat of sexual impropriety (if I don't choose the right chick)? It's an almost impossible situation and this is a problem that is now being discussed with a common thread being that the #MeToo movement has actually damaged womens chances of being hired into roles in male dominated industries because management aren't willing to take the risk.

Neither can I, Lets have a load more Sparky Chicks on the Forum as well, the more the merrier.

If they're as knowledgeable as Sparky chick on this forum then more the merrier.

Thanks chaps :D

The two forms I have seen are the butch manly ones with a crew cut, jeans and a wallet in the back pocket on a chain and an lumberjack shirt or the fat ones. ;o)))))

Never seen SparkyHotChick though so she may change my perceptions........ ---

Phwooooarh.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Very rarely see females doing construction tasks on site.
Lots of sites have had female cleaners, Romanian or from other Eastern European countries.
T Clarkes had a female sparks who I saw on a couple of sites.
Imtech had one at THFC.
Never interacted with either.
Known a couple of female Chippies away from site and a couple of female motorcycle mechanics.
Can’t say whether any are good at their jobs or not.

There is a niche market for female construction workers on the domestic side.
I recall being asked to keep a low profile at a Women’s refuge once, when visiting someone there.

Personally, I don’t think gender is an issue, it’s more a question of a person’s ability and character.

The main problem is that over the years women have been seen as the weaker sex, the two world wars proved a lot of people wrong as women went in to the factories to do the jobs that the men do, I have no problems but then again certain high risk jobs may be an issue buts thats open for discussion.

I bet the complainers and moaners go home and do as they are told by the wife as otherwise they'll get a clip around the ear.

I like Women Electricians, worked with a couple, they were talented as well, and they make better tea than the male apprentices.

Reply to Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back