Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Fix for Broken Dishwasher Switch in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. John White

John White EF Member

Business Name:
    n/a
    A while ago the plastic switch that turns our dishwasher on/off came loose. We worked out wedging a paperclip into the switch held it in place and stopped the dishwasher from switching off. However, a few days ago after wiggling the paperclip back into place, I believe it caused some kind of short circuit around the switch area as there was a burning smell and eventually a pop and now the dishwasher does not turn back on.

I unscrewed the front panel today and can see the on/off switch is charred/burned so I am pretty sure this is what happened :

[​IMG]

I think finding a replacement switch could prove difficult, and I don't really want to pay for anything more expensive than that. I was thinking the cheapest solution would be to join whichever of the four wires shown in the picture above that would keep the dishwasher on, seal with electric tape, then use the mains switch to turn the dishwasher on/off. Which of these wires would I have to join to achieve this? If you think my solution is really not a good idea, what would be a better one?

Thank you in advance !

2. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    That looks more like it's been caused by a prolonged poor connection, either a loose push on terminal or a bad connection within the switch itself, or maybe the 'wedge' was preventing the switching from making properly and caused this.

You may be able to find a replacement switch on-line, there are lots of spares available, BUT those terminations will need to be remade properly as they will undoubtedly have been heat cycled somewhat and may not provide a sufficiently good connection (meaning you'll get a quick repeat of this).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wes1000

Wes1000 Regular EF Member

who thinks putting a metal paper clip in a switch is a good idea???

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

The sort of person who should have called an appliance repairer, which is what should happen next.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

I tried it once.......never again!!
    0B12971F-B2BB-4428-A68B-C2DC50A1EB94.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. KEV 1 N

Yes.......at least they’ll use a plastic paper clip!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi John - in my opinion it would a fire risk if you try to fix it that way. The machine may have another fault causing the heating and this should be assessed by an experienced repairer. If there is no other underlying fault the damaged component, connectors and cables should be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Astolat

Astolat EF Member

When ever my dishwasher stops working I kick her backside. 100% success rate after 45 years.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

In all honesty and with due respect that's an awful db potentially dangerous idea

10. John White

John White EF Member

Business Name:
    n/a
    Thank you for everyones responses, in hindsight the paperclip was not a good idea, and looks like a quick fix with electrical tape is also a no no. Will call the helpline number for the manufacturer tomorrow, though am not getting my hopes up for a cheap solution from them. Otherwise appliance fixer or if he is too expensive maybe just a new dishwasher as it was a cheap one anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Out of interest - what's the model and age of it ?

12. John White

John White EF Member

Business Name:
    n/a
    It's a ProAction model WQP8-9249G, it's about 6.5 years old.

13. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I did have a quick look online and had no luck I'm afraid, but someone else might have more success.

14. KEV 1 N

If it were my dishwasher, I’d forget trying to find an original on/off , instead I’d fit one of these in the free space of the plastic front panel.......
    189EAC6B-AA89-4B06-8A30-9A88E2B19FA1.jpeg
    Looking at your photo it appears to be switching live and neutral (double pole switch), also you’d need new crimp connections attached and the burnt wire cut back to good wire...
    But if your not fully competent then don’t do it yourself!
    Like I say, if it were my dishwasher, that’s what I’d do but I have the skill and necessary tools and equipment to check and carry out the repair

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

046C162E-D288-4E03-89F5-CC1475FB10E5.jpeg Standby option....

• Creative Creative x 1