Discuss Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Twirlies are great, i use em loads. Not relevent to this OP but the only thing I would say about them is not to use them on bathroom cabinets etc. With repeated opening and closing they will eventually work loose.

Only if you have a stroppy teenage girl in the house who keeps slamming everything :)

I always mark the width and the height then I look for a batten and if I find one then it 2 good fixing then a couple on the plasterboard did this for a guy who seen his mate had one and he thought I was being a bit fussy then 3 months later his mate was pulled out of his bed at 4 in the morning with the cabinet smashing the sink off the wall that funny enough was fixed to the plasterboard but the was the least of his problem it was what to do with all this water shooting all over the bathroom lol

I normally call them the sharp annoying things that bite you at the bottom of your tool bag when you've accidentally spilled the box!

Twirlies are great, i use em loads. Not relevent to this OP but the only thing I would say about them is not to use them on bathroom cabinets etc. With repeated opening and closing they will eventually work loose.
They certainly will, use toggles or cut hole in p/board just below fixing points, slide in a bit of 2x1, ensure that 2x1 is in position to recieve cabinet screws and secure with a couple of drywall screws. offer up cabinet and gently but firmly screw in cabinet screws thru plasterboard and into 2x1. yes you will have a hole in p/board, but you won't see it. keep cut out p/board in case you put cabinet in wrong place:smiley2:

I can't think of a better plasterboard fixing than the spring toggles (especially if what your fitting has any weight to it) that have been around now for donkey's years. I certainly would never trust these Twirlies, ...over tighten just a little and your fixings gone!!

I can't think of a better plasterboard fixing than the spring toggles (especially if what your fitting has any weight to it) that have been around now for donkey's years. I certainly would never trust these Twirlies, ...over tighten just a little and your fixings gone!!

Agreed, but they do have some major drawbacks in fitting - having to fix them 'complete' through the material being fixed, needing about five hands if it's something big, having to tighten them at first using a pull and turn, one-time use, and if say on a 4-point fix you need to take just one out then you loose all four! Plus, you normally end up needing a load of penny washers at the load end as the heads are too small on the M4/M5 threads.

Agreed, but they do have some major drawbacks in fitting - having to fix them 'complete' through the material being fixed, needing about five hands if it's something big, having to tighten them at first using a pull and turn, one-time use, and if say on a 4-point fix you need to take just one out then you loose all four! Plus, you normally end up needing a load of penny washers at the load end as the heads are too small on the M4/M5 threads.

Like in many things, there is a knack to using toggle fixings!! lol!! The penny washers also act to spread the load, (you only need one per toggle, two maybe if very thin). I've hung pretty sizable 6 fixing panels on double boarded partition walls by myself in yesteryears, can't remember needing or wishing for 5 hands. lol!! Just fairly accurate measurements and the correct drill size to allow the toggle to just pass through. As i remember, i just pulled on the penny washers while screwing, to take up the initial length of bolt thread!! Oh, and a one time use is all you should need!! ...lol!!

I always thought the collapsible bolts were called Spits because they were a pin in the bum when used with the little spanner that came with them.
I then discovered Spit was a brand name. After that I discovered there was a fixing tool. Use them all the time now. Well, apart from fitting socket and switch front plates!!

I always thought the collapsible bolts were called Spits because they were a pin in the bum when used with the little spanner that came with them.
I then discovered Spit was a brand name. After that I discovered there was a fixing tool. Use them all the time now. Well, apart from fitting socket and switch front plates!!

I can only remember Toggle fixings coming with a slotted head for flat standard screwdrivers!! But then i've never heard of the brand name of ''Spits''!! lol!!

unnamed.jpg A Spit.

Reply to Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net