Discuss Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Theres a Curver box available in Screwfix full of RAWL brand drywall fixings, think they are still on the £3 special offer that they do now and then, got one here, 8 compartments, box is about 25cm x 40cm....

Don't forget that with most panels and cabinets, unless very deep, there is very little leverage and so the force is mainly downwards. Different if you are fixing a TV bracket.

I once saw a storage heater fixed on with "twirlies". All was going well until it was filled with bricks, front put on, and the sparks used it as a hand rest to pull himself up off his knees.

Always amazes me the things i find when i strip out jobs. yesterday i took down a s/s chimney type cooker hood, we wanted to re-use it in new kitchen fit. i unscrewed top two chimney retaining screws, went to lift chimney off of hood, crash, hood fell off of wall. it was 'secured' to wall with 'twirlies' and a bead of silicone.God knows what would have happened if it had come off wall when the lady of the house had a hob full of boiling pans.Twirlies have their uses ie hanging pictures/ornaments but never cabinets or equipment or shelves that are going to be positioned in an area where the failure of said fixing could cause harm. I always make a hole in p/board slide in batton and secure and fix and repair hole if it shows ,and walk away knowing ive done the best possible. I have before now removed large sections of p/board and put in a noggin to secure equipment. Its not worth the sleepless nights not to. Some people call me fussy, but i'm still working and plenty more lined up. PS. i was only on this job to rewire kitchen, they asked me to take out hood because they wanted it done carefully.:28:

Always amazes me the things i find when i strip out jobs. yesterday i took down a s/s chimney type cooker hood, we wanted to re-use it in new kitchen fit. i unscrewed top two chimney retaining screws, went to lift chimney off of hood, crash, hood fell off of wall. it was 'secured' to wall with 'twirlies' and a bead of silicone.God knows what would have happened if it had come off wall when the lady of the house had a hob full of boiling pans.Twirlies have their uses ie hanging pictures/ornaments but never cabinets or equipment or shelves that are going to be positioned in an area where the failure of said fixing could cause harm. I always make a hole in p/board slide in batton and secure and fix and repair hole if it shows ,and walk away knowing ive done the best possible. I have before now removed large sections of p/board and put in a noggin to secure equipment. Its not worth the sleepless nights not to. Some people call me fussy, but i'm still working and plenty more lined up. PS. i was only on this job to rewire kitchen, they asked me to take out hood because they wanted it done carefully.:28:

All comes down to experience again mate. Not enough of it in the trade anymore.

I once saw a storage heater fixed on with "twirlies". All was going well until it was filled with bricks, front put on, and the sparks used it as a hand rest to pull himself up off his knees.

I was called out to the same thing when it fell on a customer and pinned her to the floor thing is it was down to inexperience and stupidity as they used the 3 fixing holes on the wall plate. I took the wall plate off the heater lined it up with its fixing holes marked either side on the wall thumped the wall to find the struts then drilled the backplate and with 2 penny washers and 2 inch screws fixed it back on the wall then demonstrated to the customer me trying to pull the SH off the wall . Customer asked why could this not be done when fitted I said in one word lazy.

PS we call them spits up here

Sorry my friend your product is handy for putting a bit o dado rail up but not for a cabinet thing is I have fixed bathroom cabinets via the old and tried methods and yes call me old fashioned but at least I can sleep at night knowing that a pensioner or child has not been hurt because I have heard too many stories of cabinets and storage heaters "falling" of the wall as for any young guys reading this by all means use plasterboard fixing as a supplement to proper safe fixing but the only way to get good at what you do is the confidence to instill in the customer with regards to your ability plus it pays dividends as I have lost count of the return or recommended jobs I have got for taking the time to do the job right.

The last one was a private landlord who called me out to repair a storage heater and the tenant reported that the bedroom unit was "wobbly" and with a toddler running around the house it was a no brianer drill,lead,screw/fixing case out the motor and 10 minutes later heater fixed to the wall with a nominal charge on to the bill tenant relieved and great feedback from the landlord.

Thought I'd finish this thread off as well with a tail of how it went.

Great!! The twirlies by themselves would have been absolutely fine, but I found a joist (not in the right place though..grrr) and drilled an extra hole in the back of the holding plate so I had a 5th screw securely in the joist.. Bit of an overkill I think, but it only took me an extra 10mins and I could leave with complete peace of mind that it wouldn't fall on the son (although he was 6 foot 3) :smiley2:

Cheers guys for the usual good advice....

We had a job a couple of years ago that posed a fixing problem, and the structural engineer advised that these type of fixings can support 10kg spot load from a ceiling, so when used on a wall, you should not have any problems.
Have a look on the Hilti web site to confirm.

Reply to Fixing to a plasterboard wall? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net