Discuss Flourescent tubes in cold weather. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace some flourescent tubes in my workshop. They are F100W/35 with 1/2" distance between c-c of pins.
These old tubes are not the best in cold weather and take a while to start. I'm wondering if new tubes of the same type will be better or should I change to something like T8 tubes?

Thanks,

You won't get 100w t8 tubes I don't think thy make them. as post 2 if they are switch start then possibly electronic starters may help. but I think you are going to find new 8ft tubes are a bit pricy, because they are phasing them out. I don't know how many fittings you have but it may be worth looking at replacing them. I hope this helps.
Others may be able to advise you better.

Last time I bought 8ft tubes they were £16 a piece. If you want a quicker warm up, use a smaller tube like 70w (6ft) , if you use 840 colour tube and HF ballasts they will be as bright as the 8ft ones and use a lot less power

Yep as others have said swap with 6ft twins new T8 have similar output as the old 8ft T12 and energy saving wise they quickly pay for themselves depending how you use them.

I need to replace some flourescent tubes in my workshop. They are F100W/35 with 1/2" distance between c-c of pins.
These old tubes are not the best in cold weather and take a while to start. I'm wondering if new tubes of the same type will be better or should I change to something like T8 tubes?

Thanks,

Unfortunatly fluorescent lamps don't work to well in the cold, number of years ago spoke to various lighting companies who all said the same something to do with the heaters at the end of the tubes not beinf able to work efficently.

Had one company called Baro lighting a German outfit said they had a tube which good in cold conditions, it was a special fluorescent tube which cost £25 a piece needless to say didn't get them as needed about 1200 tubes.

The large switch start still exist but they are fading, so to speak, fast. They have certainly proved better than the electronic start types. Put one of each in a green house a couple of years ago. The standard ballast one switches on first time and stays on, the electronic start one spends alot of time strobing.

I would go for vapour proof fluorescents. T5 49W 865. Good light off them and electronic ballasts for instant start. qvsdirect.com do them. Keenly priced too :)

Reply to Flourescent tubes in cold weather. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net