Discuss For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

I have spent 2 days in total doing an EICR on these boards, I won't give away too much info in this first post, I would like you new sparks who go around peoples houses changing dist boards to let me know if you think this needs ripping out and replacing? if so what is your reasons and what questions do you think you would need to ask me before making your decision?

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 017.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 498
a few factors would decide if I would recommend replacement .........

Is the backboard or frame of any of the 3036's made of a combustible material

How do the retro MCB's fit and interface with the existing board and do the cause any exposed parts

How does the cover fit and the subsequent fuse cover fit with these in place, as if both don't fit then this contravenes manufactures instructions

Is there any sign of over heating on with the carriers, busbar or blades

Is the existing installation suitable for the loads and the size of cables and total demand

The possible lack of a single point of isolation

The reason for the test and the expectations of the client, ( some of the tests I do are required to have a clean sheet)

Measured Zs readings and their relation to the fitted protective devices and their disconnection times

The earthing arrangements, this is a Tn system but a TT would require replacement.

That's just a few to start and is not ment to be exhaustive as I'm walking round morrisons ATM lol

This could get interesting.

It's not my first house, I fitted two 8 way Wylex boards.
Yes it could, it is the sort of thread which could split the forum, thats why I posted it, the mods may have to watch this if it starts getting questions regarding it

a few factors would decide if I would recommend replacement .........

Is the backboard or frame of any of the 3036's made of a combustible material

How do the retro MCB's fit and interface with the existing board and do the cause any exposed parts

How does the cover fit and the subsequent fuse cover fit with these in place, as if both don't fit then this contravenes manufactures instructions

Is there any sign of over heating on with the carriers, busbar or blades

Is the existing installation suitable for the loads and the size of cables and total demand

The possible lack of a single point of isolation

The reason for the test and the expectations of the client, ( some of the tests I do are required to have a clean sheet)

Measured Zs readings and their relation to the fitted protective devices and their disconnection times

The earthing arrangements, this is a Tn system but a TT would require replacement.

That's just a few to start and is not ment to be exhaustive as I'm walking round morrisons ATM lol
Good questions. ZE is 0.20 for clarity to start with, all zs readings within what they should be, no evidence at all of any overheating, when the covers are on, no exposed parts evident, definately a TNCS system, dist board backs are wooden, however fire proof foam is between ceiling and wooden frame boards are sat on, all sockets down stairs covered by RCD, thats all of your questions answered I believe fella

Forgot to mention, Boards are in the garage which is part of the house and the ceilings are all fireproofed with fire boards.

Would personally have issue with that, and the wooden backboards due to there being no integral backs in those boards, don't think it would be enough to recommend replacement, I might suggest it as an improvement rather than a necessity
Good view, I might agree, I might not, lets see what the others say first, I have to shoot off now for an hour, but will be happy to pm you my findings when I get back if you want to know what I think.

A snakes nest of wiring! Before I say anything are my eyes working correctly:

1) The service head feeds the meter
2) Meter then feeds a henley block
3) Henley then feeds two '3036' boards and a single '3036' board.
4) The R/H '3036' board then feeds an 'RCD' enclosure

that is totally illegal and dangerous. it's just a question of whether you will be electrocuted or your house burns down. the whole house needs a complete rewire for which we will be happy to quote.

looking after your world (NOT).

yours greedily,

British Gas.

Reply to For new sparks who change dist boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net