Discuss Fuse board change with rear entry mounted on wood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it doesn’t clarify it because the thin steel which the CUs are manufactured from will not provide fire containment, fire will get through it.
Unless they specify fire containment properly then it’s impossible to meet the requirements. For a start fire containment needs to have a length of time associated with it, just look at the standard practices and regulations regarding fire barriers and compartments within buildings.

Plus the guidance notes are not part of the regulations, they are additional information. A lot of time and consideration is put in to the wording of the regulations and they are very specific, as far as I know the guidance notes are not written and approved by the full regulations committee so cannot guarantee to carry the full ‘intentions’ of the regulations.
The term ‘non-combustible’ will have been selected over ‘fire-proof’ for good reason.

What is the point in having a set of regulations where we are expected to comply with the ‘intention’ or ‘spirit’ of the regulations rather than what is clearly written?

I agree it would be helpful if they requested a time as they do for doors, but we all know you dont need to follow BS7671 or the guidance notes, but if the CU caught fire and the fire took hold in the cavity having not sealed the rear entry, you would have a tough time defending yourself should the need arise.
Fortunately for everyone on here we are all in here to learn and help others, so hopefully we will never find ourselves in a difficult position.

Not been assessed since Genfel.

But the blame for the Grenfel disaster can mainly be laid at the door of the DCLG ........... they are the people that come up with the feeble building regs ..............

Pre Grenfel my assessment was for CU with rear entry and no containment. - passed
Post Grenfel same assessor, CU with rear entry and no containment -fail. I had to add fire foam before he would pass. He referred to guidance note 4, that’s why I purchased it so I could see for myself.

O dear we are again left with lack of clear specific information in parts of BS7671.....gaps for interpretation. I was assessed on one board enlarged hole in back mounted on trunking to accommodate some surface wiring incl tails, not sealed but IP rated...... passed no problem.

FYI.. I did write to the LFB regarding increase in CU fires as I was worried about specific makes of CU to avoid...

"Many thanks for your request for information dated 19 February 2015.
We are hesitant to release the names of individual manufactures as their products would be compliant to the regulations. You may be interested in the following press release on our
website which showcases fuse board incidents in recent years and the most recent change in electronic installation regulations. When the new regulations are in place (2016) then all consumer units will be made to a fire resistant standard.".....hey ho...could be a standards problem, bad workmanship, storing flammable materials nearby or general public messing around with CU's in spare time with nothing else to do.

Reply to Fuse board change with rear entry mounted on wood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net