Discuss Has anybody ever seen something like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

allsystemsgo

Hi, has anybody ever seen something like this? I am from the states but can't find any "popular" electrician forums it seems.

Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 11.06.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-05-26 at 11.11.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-05-26 at 11.12.24 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-05-26 at 11.13.50 PM.jpg

A little tricky to see whats going on.

Is that the way it was left?

Your best bet would be to call a local qualified electrician in to tidy up and check.

IMG_0323_1.jpgIMG_0325_1.jpg

these were before I removed the light, but yes I will get better pics of the wiring sorry for their quality. And yes we are calling an electrician to come tomorrow. Truly thank you for your replies.

It looks like a transformer coming out of the junction box the light sits on. sorry not much help here as i have never seen this done. Best advice i can offer is wait for the electrician to check it and carry out repairs if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess your electrician would say that transformer needs to have containment (at least we would in the UK) do you know where the cable from the transformer is going to/what it is supplying?

Yes, unfortunately I am here in the states.

But no I don't know what exactly it is going to, and I've never noticed that box before thats on it...and I feel an electrician wouldn't use wire that curls up like that.

CIMG0021.jpg CIMG0028.jpg CIMG0029.jpgCIMG0032.jpg

those 3 wires are connected to a phone line, but it's odd because the phone line is wired from my room...and I know a cable person would get probably get fired if they setup someones voip/phone with that kind of wiring...

Closer pic of all the wiring in that light:

CIMG0048.jpg

It has been causing a resonating sound on and off for 8 months now or it is just sending current somehow to my room, to the point where I got tinnitus, it even causes red marks on my skin like I am being electrocuted.

It even causes water to vibrate like http://london.worldserv.net/pics/absurd/IMG_0129.MOV sorry I don't have a youtube acc so I couldn't embed it, but yes we are having electrician come tomorrow, hopefully he can figure out whats going on here...because this is absurd. I am hoping it is the wires causing some kind of resonating sound but I don't know, I just thought it was weird to have so many wires in that light being that it is just a light. And I find those wires weird / out of place.

Attachments

• CIMG0023.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 60
What i am saying to you mate is that just because i have never seen it before doesn't mean it is wrong. We do things very differently over here so what is right over here may not be over by you. Even the voltage is different we operate on a 230volt system

Most of the untidy wiring looks like sat / phone or alarm to me, the transformer on the light looks like a neat fitting and the open terminals with the curly cable on will more than likely be extra low voltage (maybe 12v). You spark will advise but I doubt it's as bad as you think it is.

What i am saying to you mate is that just because i have never seen it before doesn't mean it is wrong. We do things very differently over here so what is right over here may not be over by you. Even the voltage is different we operate on a 230volt system

USA uses 240v as well as 120v for large appliances over 20A :)

Maybe that transformer is supplying some sort of signal amplifier, or splitter. I'm sure your local electrician will find out and sort it out for you..

Don't you just love all those wire-nuts in that surface ceiling back box!! lol!!!

they get it from 2 phase...as far as i know......i think theres about half dozen different voltages in general use in the states....

No, it's not an actual 2 phase supply, it is a 3 wire single phase set-up, and basically very similar to you're 110-55-110 Volt that is used on construction sites.

Just for you Glenn,

This drawing shows a UK farm supply of 480V and also the popular misconception of the phases being at 180°. Just transpose the voltages for the Yanks.

View attachment 12589

Two phase from a Scott T transformer.

View attachment 12590

It’s very rare now, but some US back woods places still have it. I wouldn’t like to come across it. L1-N / N-L2 but the neutrals aren’t normally connected. They can be but L1-L2 voltage is 141% of the L-N voltage, not a lot of use to anyone. So 120V L-N would give 170V L1-L2. The phases are at 90° so the vector sum gives 141%.

Americans are weird!

Reply to Has anybody ever seen something like this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net