Discuss Hello everyone and a bit of reassurance if possible in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Smithy

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, nice to be here, I’m a toolmaker but trade more accustomed to building aircraft tooling. However in more recent years my job has included electrical and pneumatic work.
I’ve always enjoyed diy and with lockdown and looking to make some improvements.

I am wanting to put a loft light up before I board it out and want it on a separate circuit with a switch. I’ve photographed a junction box which looks to me like it has 3 circuits off it, none of which have had the switched lives taped up but it’s pretty jammed!
The mains in is on th left by the looks and the 2 centre connections are mains live and neutral but they are full
My intention is to cut the mains feed and put a new junction box in that I can continue to this box but also take over (5metres away) to my switch where I can wire a junction box with the switch and light wiring.
I have seen Wago boxes but I have some new junction boxes and hoped they will be ok
Am I correct in my thinking, any reassurance or advice would be greatly appreciated . Thankyou very much80921A4F-1EE4-4630-AE15-6DFF8796895B.jpeg

Unfortunately we would be guessing if we tried to tell you what the purpose of each cable was.

If you are competent then you could remove each cable from there, use a good quality larger junction box with some maintenance free terminals to replace it.

586D12A2-02DF-471E-A5E1-E60E978EE7D1.jpegHi - I think this horrible JB has only 1 circuit in it, but possibly branches to 3 lamps. You can confirm this by turning the power off for one light circuit at the Consumer Unit and confirm every conductor is in the JB dead ... better it than us !

Just trying to be helpful - no warranty :)
1 All CPC
2 All N (note not every black conductor)
3 Suspect same function as 4 for another lamp, but can’t see all conductors
4 Switched live (black) returning from a switch and going to a lamp (red)
5 All L (note not every red conductor)
6 Suspect same function as 4 for another lamp, but can’t see all conductors

I would say there are three cables on the live loop and three switch cables but that is a guess. As above I would replace it with an enclosure and maintenance free connections especially if it is going to be concealed. Also does the circuit have 30ma rcd protection as it is a requirement for the new part of the circuit to have it.

Thankyou for your helpful replies, much appreciated.
Some of the cables were labelled. The ones that are not the mains in are to switches in 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. So 3 lots.
Should I be surprised that the switched lives coming back aren’t taped red?
Do you think I’m ok to proceed but just with a bigger junction box?

westward 10 I’m not sure , The consumer unit just has ‘upstairs lights’ I have attached a photo

wilko - am I right with thinking the 2 central connectors are the mains supply to all these loops? The wire on the left supplies those 2 central connectors with power it seems
71802B71-C9F8-45D6-B9BA-1D0D6983FD2C.jpeg
My proposal is for 2 led batons

No it doesn't have rcd protection which the new light fittings would require.

As it stands the level of protection does not meet current standards however existing installations do not need to meet current standards so it may be perfectly fine, no way to tell from afar. The new lighting would need to meet current standards.

As it stands the level of protection does not meet current standards however existing installations do not need to meet current standards so it may be perfectly fine, no way to tell from afar. The new lighting would need to meet current standards.
Thank you

Reply to Hello everyone and a bit of reassurance if possible in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net