Discuss Help need to change ceiling light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Russ9411

-
DIY
Reaction score
I'm trying to change a ceiling rose for a 3 plate light. I connect the 3L to L, E to E,then there is 3 black (n) I connect 2 N to N but the 3rd (Must be the switch live ) isn't anywhere to connect to.

Any advice

20171105_094945.jpg

20171106_164010.jpg

The single black is the switch return so goes to the brown terminal preferably with a red sleeve on it to identify , the two blacks go to the blue terminal and the three reds connected together with no connection at the fittings block connector. The earths go to the earth terminal but I cannot see an earth wire at the fitting?

The earth is in the middle of the new fitting. (Label came off )And yes I put a bigger connector block on it because I couldn't fit all the L wires in the connector it came with. So I know the L to L, two of the N (black ) to N (BLUE ) E to E but that leaves me with the switch return, so my question is, where do wire it to.

The switch return which is the single black goes to brown and the three reds connect together only and not at that three way connector.

Can anyone advice me as to where I connect the wires from the single light into the new chrome light. On the chrome light there is a connector that has three openings but the old single has wires coming out of four different holes .On the chrome there is L E N.On the old one the 3 L get fed into one hole two black get fed into a hole and a single black gets fed into a hole. The E gets fed into a hole just above the rest of the wires (see photo )

I think the OP has asked a fair question in the DIY realm although we would expect the DIYer to have some basic knowledge to taking on such a task, as I see the answer has been given more than once and also it will probably be a struggle for a DIY to terminate and successfully fit all those cables safely into the new shallow based fitting it would be my
(as with others here) best advice to recommend getting in an Electrician to ensure it is done correctly and safely.

I appreciate all your help and I'll take it all onboard. It's just a sparkie friend of mine advised me that the single black (return switch stays on its own in a separate connector ) because, he tells me that's how you wire a 3 plate light. But I've known him for years and not too sure on his advice, being he likes to tell people domestic electrical work is beneath him and he's an industrial sparkie.
I've wired it so the light is on but doesn't turn off. So I'll shall follow westward 's wisdom and if to no avail I'll follow the friend's way.
Thanks to all for taking time to reply. Much appreciated.

Just keep the three reds separate in their own connector with no connection to the new fitting, single black to brown and two blacks to blue. Let us know if this works but if not get an electrician in it will take them less than an hour to fit and test.

Reply to Help need to change ceiling light in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net