Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

YUK!. far better to have a decent wall switch ( outside the bathroom, of course ).

If the guy is just replacing the shower does he have to fit an isolator? Isnt that a bit like changing a socket and having to add a rcd CU.
Dont get me wrong, it would be good to add one.

Well like I said its a totally new bathroom There was no shower before.
There's certainly no cord or switch.
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Well like I said its a totally new bathroom There was no shower before.
There's certainly no cord or switch.
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

I stand corrected then. The electrician is a complete waste of time, and I thought he was only 95% waste of time...

If the guy is just replacing the shower does he have to fit an isolator? Isnt that a bit like changing a socket and having to add a rcd CU.
Dont get me wrong, it would be good to add one.

Not replacing, the OP has stated a couple of times now ''no previous electric shower in the house'' The supply to this shower is from what used to be the cooker control switch... It needs a means of DP local isolation, either a wall switch or a ceiling mounted pull switch. Even if only to turn off that LED indicator lamp, but i'd install such a local isolation switch as a matter of course...

Here's a piece of an email they sent me

The hob on 13 amp plug tops are okay, it comes as the recommended installation from the manufacturer. So no worries there.
I understand your concerns about the Cables along the radiator pipes, I raised this myself with another electrician once upon a time, but don’t worry its fine. The cable nowadays is all shielded and heat proofed.
We hand over certification for all his electrical work once paid, so this should will help put your mind at ease.

what a load of old cobblers.

since when has T/E been heat proofed?

you have the manufacturers instructions for the oven and hob. tell him to get someone to read them out to him, as he's obviously incapable of reading them himself.

The hob on 13 amp plug tops are okay, it comes as the recommended installation from the manufacturer. So no worries there.
I understand your concerns about the Cables along the radiator pipes, I raised this myself with another electrician once upon a time, but don’t worry its fine. The cable nowadays is all shielded and heat proofed.
We hand over certification for all his electrical work once paid, so this should will help put your mind at ease.

Jeez, don't let him back in any more. This is the final nail in the coffin. And the coffin already had plenty of nails in it! Daz

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgAnd here's the latest pics after the trunking. Think it gets worse as it goes into loft will snap there later.
Sorry they have loaded strange.
The first one is top second is bottom
third is the socket.
This is the trunked repairs to the earlier pictures
thnx yet again for all the input it has helped us a lot.

How come you are not in possession of all the manufacturers paperwork/manual relating to the hob and oven etc??
As previously stated above, T&E is not shielded, and has a 70'C standard rating, so certainly not classed as a heat proof cable. Such cables are normally rated over 90'C and won't be PVC, rather it'll be of a silicone based rubber construction....

Ignoring the total BS proceeding this sentence I hi-lighted... send a reply Email making them aware that the job is not complete until you have received the cert's for his work, and express you have been informed that they cannot be held back until payment.... the final payment will not be payed until cert's have been received and your happy with all issues raised.

This is what the manufactures instructions of your hob state;

The hob must be installed by a competent electrician, using a suitable double pole control unit, with 3mm minimum contact separation at all poles.

Fuse Protection 23 A min

How can this company argue against these instructions, it's clear as day what should be done.

i'd go further than that, even. withold payment untill you've had an independent inspection carried out. then hit them with all the defects.

You also now need to decide how far you are prepared to take things??

Exactly how much work has this so-called electrician actually undertaken for you?? Seems he's not to keen on filling holes etc, either. I hope he hasn't fleeced you on price too, just to add insult to injury!! lol!!

i'd go further than that, even. withold payment untill you've had an independent inspection carried out. then hit them with all the defects.

I'd go with what Tel says above.

We are awaiting reply to email we sent this morning. Think they may now realise that although 5 k up. They are in a bad place and I wonder if we will get a reply.
Gave them till Monday to respond .

Never mind he won't hand over the certificates unless you've paid in full, judging by this persons work I'd say his testing wouldn't be all that good either.
Just because he's written out a certificate there's no guarantee that is an accurate representation of the installation he's done.
You'd be better off using the money to get a decent spark to come and inspect/test the lash up he's inflicted on you.
Ultimately it's you and your loved ones safety that's at stake here.

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net