Discuss Help with a Double 3 way switch and 2 regular 3-way switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DYIdiot

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Need some help with an odd setup. I have a large room with many lights that i separated into 2 sets. In Box 1 there is the 14/2 power in, 2 regular 3-way switches and 2 14/3 wires out to the box at the other side of the room.

In Box 2 i only was able to put a single gang box so i got a double 3 way switch. not matte how i wire it up i cannot get it to work.

I have the power supply pig tailed feeding each of the black terminals of the 3 ways in box one. i also broke the tab on the double 3 way switch as i thought i needed them to act as if they were on separate circuits.

Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for this set up and confirm if i should have broken off the tab on the double 3-way?

Thanks!

Dave

Hi,

Need some help with an odd setup. I have a large room with many lights that i separated into 2 sets. In Box 1 there is the 14/2 power in, 2 regular 3-way switches and 2 14/3 wires out to the box at the other side of the room.

In Box 2 i only was able to put a single gang box so i got a double 3 way switch. not matte how i wire it up i cannot get it to work.

I have the power supply pig tailed feeding each of the black terminals of the 3 ways in box one. i also broke the tab on the double 3 way switch as i thought i needed them to act as if they were on separate circuits.

Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for this set up and confirm if i should have broken off the tab on the double 3-way?

Thanks!

Dave
Because you're not dealing with distinct circuits in your instance, with Box 2 having a double 3-way switch, cutting off the tab isn't essential.

Because you're not dealing with distinct circuits in your instance, with Box 2 having a double 3-way switch, cutting off the tab isn't essential.
ok but do you have a wiring diagram or can point me to one as i cannot seem to get it to work right. All the diagram i find do not have the same set up and power is going into the stacked 3 way where my power is into the other box

Hi,

Thanks!

Dave
I actually have never heard of a double three way switch but in box # 1 is an easy fix but in box # 2 is a different story. How many screws do you have on the double three way switch. If you have 4 screws then it is a basic double pole switch and not a 3 way. I can help but let’s figure out what actual switch you are using.

I actually have never heard of a double three way switch but in box # 1 is an easy fix but in box # 2 is a different story. How many screws do you have on the double three way switch. If you have 4 screws then it is a basic double pole switch and not a 3 way. I can help but let’s figure out what actual switch you are using.
the stacked 3 way has two rockers, 2 black screws on the right side (one for each rocker now that i took the tab off) and 2 brass screws on the left side of each rocker (4 total brass screws). It is a Leviton branded switch like this one

Reply to Help with a Double 3 way switch and 2 regular 3-way switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net