Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss How to get started on big contracts in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Lip.82

Lip.82 Active EF Member

Hi
    I'm hoping to get some advice so I can start to move in the right direction, I'm wanting to know what qualifications and anything else I need to get on some big contracts and earn some decent money, I've currently got my C&G L2 & L3 and waiting to do my regs and testing and inspecting. I've been in the game for about 6 years but everyone keeps telling me different things. Could anyone point me in the right direction please

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

you must crawl be for you can run. looking at your post you are only half way their .are you working for some body or self funded doing your now 2391!

3. andysparkfree

andysparkfree Regular EF Member

I've always found its who you know, not what you know ....... word of mouth or right place at the right time .....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

it is like trying to get on the housing ladder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lip.82

Lip.82 Active EF Member

Hi thanks for the reply. I'm working for someone doing domestic and commercial. I've been putting myself through college on a evening course and just waiting to do the regs etc

6. andysparkfree

andysparkfree Regular EF Member

good luck ! it defiantly sounds like your putting the effort in ... so good contracts just around the corner hopefully !!

7. bcm_spark

bcm_spark Electrician's Arms

Get in touch with the big firm, balfours, spie, ng bailey, amec or whatever they are called now. They all usually have decent jobs running but be prepared to work away from home, weekends and usually binned at the end of the job.

Also, the big jobs, in my experience are heavily policed in terms of breaks and start and finishing times. 10 min tea break not one minute more, 30 min lunch and again not one minute more, shouted out cabin etc. Clock out even 1 second early and prepare to be quartered. I even know of one lad, left early on last day before Xmas, lost all his stat holidays and full months bonus.

But, they are great jobs to be on, plenty of good lads who all look out for each other and real good earners...1k plus per week after tax plus holidays, pension etc.