Discuss How to install a floodlight safely while up ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

I'm just curious at how other sparkys install or replace accessories (floodlights, cctv cameras, etc. - domestic work in mind) while working on extension ladders?
Supposedly you should be doing it with 1 hand while the other holds on to the ladder but holding a floodlight, for example, in place while you put screws in is not an easy feat with one hand! In theory a pen pusher would say put scaffold up but show me a sparky who puts scaffold up to replace a customers home floodlight and I'll run round Manchester naked.
I was looking yesterday at gooseneck clamps and such to hold the accessory in place. Does anyone else use a particular gadget for this kind of job or does everyone else just grip the cable in their mouth, to stop the floodlight falling, while they thumble around dropping screws like me? 🤣

If you watch Sky 'engineers', they have to drill the wall and fix their ladders to the wall.
Personally, if possible, I back the van up to the wall, open back doors and use it as a stopper......with the hand brake on, of course.
Mostly non domestic, though.
Regarding working up ladder with 2 hands....been doing that for years. I suppose the height factor comes in to it.

If you watch Sky 'engineers', they have to drill the wall and fix their ladders to the wall.
Personally, if possible, I back the van up to the wall, open back doors and use it as a stopper......with the hand brake on, of course.
Mostly non domestic, though.
Regarding working up ladder with 2 hands....been doing that for years. I suppose the height factor comes in to it.
I do sometimes latch the ladders down to an eyebolt or at least to something solid even if it's just a rigid soil pipe. Still doesn't solve the one handed issue though. I had a nightmare putting a cctv camera up other week when I had to get three small screws into the roof overhang while holding the camera. I managed eventually but I wouldn't call it safe working 🤨

I was looking at one of the below (meant for holding a dog grooming hair dryer lol).
Worth a go?
clamp.jpg
clamp 2.jpg
clamp 3.jpg

Reminds me back in the day early 20s trying to climb a ladder leaning against a lighting pole , bosses orders

Did a few jobs working off a teleporter at height

Wouldn't do it now , risk averse or lack of stupidity, I dunno

Kind of depends on how stable it all is. Certainly I work two-handed on step ladders but only if it is well within my comfortable and manageable range of distance and weights. Often it means a couple of trips up and down, first to drill the holes, next to get the item screwed in place at least on one point, then 2nd point, etc. Finally doing the connections, etc. Though in some case I put the cable on first and run it from then, but a long and/or thick cable can make it too hard to wrangle the item in to place and fix it.

In a couple of cases I put studs in to the wall (rawlbolt things with protruding thread) so I could just hook it over and spin a nut or two on for fixing a heavier item. In those cases sometimes had a mate on a 2nd ladder for help in holding it or putting fasteners in.

But whatever you do never EVER push your luck on reach - take the extra time and effort to go down and move the ladder!

1 hand while the other holds on to the ladder
I always make sure one arm is through a rung hole in the ladder if I need two hands. That way I'll happily drop whatever I'm holding and grab the ladder in the event of a problem.

You could always buy a fall arrest harness? The two hook ones are better than single, of course.

A decent ladder makes a lot of difference!
I think this is the model we have, not too heavy and non-conductive:

Here is UK site, not cheap at around £200 inc VAT, but has lasted well:

Here is UK site, not cheap at around £200 inc VAT, but has lasted well:
They look fine pc but I don't think they'll rech the eaves. Not unless you balance several of them pyramid style
😂
pyramid.jpg

I get the impression most people seem to take care using good ladders and securing them etc, but everyone seems to be in the same boat as to breaching the 3 points of contact rule by using 2 hands to work. Interesting 🤔

I have a ladderboard like @catdog1121 posted earlier which is great for stopping the ladder from sliding or swiveling round! I will Park something heavy at the bottom of ladders as well and on occasions have them tied off to an eyelet bolt if I think it's looking dodgy.
For post work I have a pole adaptor for the top that is great and will tie them off to the pole or stake the feet if possible. I do have a proper pole harness as well just in case. I recently worried a customer while removing a large streetlight head as she didn't realize I had it on as I leaned back to remove the head she thought I was falling off!
If and wherever possible I will use a platform or tower for things that are above eves height. Sometimes it's just not possible.
Plus I hate ladders with a passion, I would rather be swinging from a well fixed rope than climb a ladder!

I'm not usually trying to work 5m up, that is a touch high for comfort unless helper at bottom of ladder, etc. I never really though about "3 points of contact" but I guess indistinctively try to keep knees/shins in contact so there is some leverage to stabilise myself.

I have a a fall-arrest harness sort of thing somewhere, but (a) it is well past its certified date for the rip-tape thing, and (b) I suspect if attached to the ladder and not a proper bolt point it would do little to stop me hitting the ground.

Reply to How to install a floodlight safely while up ladders in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net