Discuss I am a new PV householder - advice please. Unbalanced strings and wrong inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well the installation was completed yesterday.
I have the Power One PVI 3.6-OUTD-16A mounted on fire retardant board, with isolators labelled properly, and the 16x Suntech STP 245S 20Wd wired as 6+10. There is a wiring schematic (showing 6+10) in the cupboard next to the generation meter in the utility room, and a Wattson Solar meter (provided) quietly glowing. When I was home yesterday (wet and miserable), I didn't see it go above 600W, but my wife allegedly saw over 3000W today.

I guess I should be happy, but there is a bit of a sour taste because it took such a lot of effort...

Thank you all for your help - I don't know quite how I would have got to this conclusion without you. What did we do before t'Internet?

I took a few pictures yesterday, while the scaffolding was still up.Comments welcome...
When I am home again on Thursday, I will take some internal shots too.
I will also see what the peak output has been from the inverter display, and what the startup voltage for the string of 6 has been set to. Power-One String Tool says it should be 185V, if I have interpreted that correctly.
Following recommendations here, we are going to go with Good Energy as the FIT provider.

So you got there in the end!!! Also the configuration of strings and the inverter choice of modules are all good, looks like they have earthed the arrays as your earthing arrangment is pme.
Just thinking back to what they proposed to install makes me smile considering the effort all on here spent giving you the good advice you needed.
Happy result! Now watch them cheques come through your door lol we just need a bit of sunshine we can't help with that lol

I am very familiar with both Growatt and Samil.
Growatt3600MTL has DUAL Trackers. It is much more better than Samil's 4400TL because some main reasons
1) Growatt has dual trackers, fit perfectly to two-direction-roofs. Samil 4400 only 1 tracker
2) Growatt3600MTL's cap current is 16A, G83, which means fast installation without application from DNO in advance
While Samil 4400TL looks like G59 certified, it needs 8 weeks for application of installation
3) 3600w is much more suitable for your request. 4400 doesn't match your panel design
I do think the Dual-Tracker 3600MTL is worthy to use.
I think you might have skipped a few posts ;-) (It did turn into a rather long thread!)
They quoted Growatt, erroneously fitted Samil but I cried "Foul" and finally got the Power One PVI 3.6-OUTD-16A, which also has dual MPPTs. The consensus seems to be that I got the best* inverter in the end.

* and before someone points it out, Solar Edge would have been the best but I tried hard for that, but wasn't prepared to pay an extra 10% of contract price and risk further delay.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you got there in the end!!! Also the configuration of strings and the inverter choice of modules are all good, looks like they have earthed the arrays as your earthing arrangment is pme.
Just thinking back to what they proposed to install makes me smile considering the effort all on here spent giving you the good advice you needed.
Happy result! Now watch them cheques come through your door lol we just need a bit of sunshine we can't help with that lol
I am afraid to say that me wanting solar seems to have triggered the most sun-less summer imaginable!!

I am not sure how to respond to this. Presumably you think the answer is no, and that this is a bad thing?

Can't tell from the pics, but its a good idea to have the cables under the panels cable tied so they don't blow in the wind, scrape along the roof and over time wear away. You can sometimes hear them in high winds, which can be annoying. It's worth doing as it only takes 5 mins.

All looks good to me, I see that 2 of the 6 panels are on the main roof with the other 4 on the garage. It dosen't look that much higher and looks to be about the same pitch so should be fine.

Get your fit application in now and check they have received it and its correct. You've still got plenty of time to make any corrections if need be. Well done.

It LOOKS quite smart, however, my Snagging List would include:
Cable Entry Weatherproof (Photo 12)
Cable Entry protected from chaffing (Photo 12)
Cables secured / tied to rails / not dangling on roof (photo 9)
Make sure gaps under tiles aren't too great / grind backs of tiles if nescessary to make them sit flush so that water won't ingress under them. (photo 5, house, not acceptable)

Use a hole cutter to put conduit through eaves (photo 5)
Conduit labelled (DC Cables) ...
Conduit secured - The could have brought it out further along the eaves or taken it along the wall and secured conduit to rail on Garage Roof (photo 3 / 4)
Clamps should be on the 1/4 points of the panels +- 1/8th (photo 9) - Also applies to house to some degree.

What does the inverter, cu, isolator and meter installation look like?

aha I see the problem on the position of the clamps - they have vertical rails, but not in a cross rail configuration, they've just got vertical rails, so no chance to position them properly

aha I see the problem on the position of the clamps - they have vertical rails, but not in a cross rail configuration, they've just got vertical rails, so no chance to position them properly
Thanks Mick. Not sure I understand that bit though.
Does it relate to grinding the backs of the tiles? Or to "Clamps should be on the 1/4 points of the panels +- 1/8th"?

I work away, but I will post pictures of the inverter, cu, isolator and meter installation when I am back home Thursday night.

It related to the position of the clamps on the panels (usually 1/4 point +- 1/8th so 1/8th - 3/8th = 1 1/4 cells through 3 3/4 cells)

Best practice for landscape is to mount rails horizontally as normal and then put another set of rails across them (cross rail) that way you are not restricted by where the rafters are and so you can get the supporting (vertical) rails in the right position. If you can get the vertical rails to line up with where they should be without doing it that way - you're very lucky - especially with 4 panels in a line. Of course to do it that way costs more with twice as much rail, plus the cross rail brackets.

I wouldn't have commented on it with just the main roof, they are probably just about ok without measuring. The garage roof is well out of normal range - the panels should have mounting instructions which specify the acceptable clamp positions. There are only a couple of panels that allow you to clamp on the short sides, so they got a bit of it right - the prinicpal, just screwed up on the practice part.

What is scary is just how many installations have been probably been done like this, at least juniperz has had the guts to ask the questions and challenge his installers - perhaps they should come and read this thread, but then again they probably think they don't need to.

your a mean bunch lol:smilewinkgrin:
:) I can't quite decide whether I want to know about the bad things. I don't think these things are show-stoppers, unlike fitting the wrong inverter and arguably not mounting on fire retardant board.
After all the grief I have given the installer, I am not sure how receptive they will be to this feedback, especially as the scaffolding may be coming down today - I haven't been at home since Monday.

Better to keep the boat rocking now, that will save them the expense of putting up the scaffolding again in a couple of weeks.

When the wires chaff through in a couple of years / the roof leaks in the next big downpour, and they have gone out of business. Who is going to pay for it then?

These faults are actually just as, if not more important than the string / inverter combination.

They will not be able to sign off the commissioning certificate or issue a buidling regs certificate with the way it is.

Not to rock the boat here at all but on the smaller string (6 Panels) did they reduce the startup voltage to 185v?
I may be a complete amateur, but I did say above, that I would check that when I get home. It's almost as if I know what I am talking about! Thanks to you contributors.
Will have a think about the building related concerns when I have a chance - busy day.

Thanks Mick. Not sure I understand that bit though.
Does it relate to grinding the backs of the tiles? Or to "Clamps should be on the 1/4 points of the panels +- 1/8th"?

I work away, but I will post pictures of the inverter, cu, isolator and meter installation when I am back home Thursday night.

You could have posted the best installation in the world and still have op pickin faults with it!

Reply to I am a new PV householder - advice please. Unbalanced strings and wrong inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net