Discuss I am a new PV householder - advice please. Unbalanced strings and wrong inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's not much point lowering the start up voltage too low because you will just wear out the inverter producing next to nothing, or the inverter consuming as much as it generates.

It is probably best the installer adjust the start up voltage of the six panel string so that it does start and ideally at the same time as the larger string does at the higher start up voltage.

I have seen in the photos, although not perfect it is a install.
Do not start messing with the inverter, if it is not booting up (which it appears to be) then get the installer to "fiddle" with it.

I have posted before about building regs, the installer does not instruct them to visit, some installers can issue a certificate, and some can not, but you do not need building regs, just structural calculations, wind loading, and a part P certificate, and the lack of structural calculations may only cause a problem if you decide to sell the property.
Should you choose to get building regs, in my area the cost is £112, so it may be worth it for piece of mind, but it is not mandatory.

Agree 99% with earthstore and dont go messing as noshocks said its not your job and should have been picked up on design and Im not being mean just honest the installers are ( )

Plus if you go messing you have no come back...when ... if ... the inverter goes pop. 14v is NOT an issue.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the recent comments - I have been too busy enjoying the sun to go near the forum :)
I will not be touching the startup voltage.

I did get myself a cheap 2nd hand Samsung netbook on eBay and I have got the monitoring working via the USB port on the right hand side. Pretty straight-forward with the drivers and Aurora Communicator software from Power One and the integration servce from PVOutput. I can drive the netbook in the attic using LogMeIn remotely, or with UVNC if I am at home, without needing to go up there.
juniperzPV 3.920kW | Live Output
I can even see the data on my Android phone.

And I have spoken to Good Energy and our application for FIT was all in order.

One question - the peak inverter temperature today was 70degC - that seems high (though what do I know?) - is that normal?

it'd certainly benefit from any additional ventilation you could put in to the loft, as well as moving lower in the loft space if possible.

those are the internal temperatures within the inverter, and I'm not entirely sure at what point it starts limiting the output, but those do seem a bit excessive to more, and will almost certainly reduce the lifespan of the inverter.

it'd certainly benefit from any additional ventilation you could put in to the loft, as well as moving lower in the loft space if possible.

those are the internal temperatures within the inverter, and I'm not entirely sure at what point it starts limiting the output, but those do seem a bit excessive to more, and will almost certainly reduce the lifespan of the inverter.
Thanks. I dropped a line to [email protected] earlier, so will see what they say.
I looked at few UK installations with the same inverter (on PVOutput.org) that had also generated about 25kWh today, and a couple were down at about 25 degrees C.
I am not at home again until Thursday, but maybe I should think about a fan in the attic...

You wil get to hot in loft waving a paper fan about lol

I recall in a very early post not to have it in the loft now your concerned

Last edited by a moderator:
Lofts normally get cooler when PV is fitted (the PV takes the heat not the tiles) It does depend upon how well ventilated it is / isn't.

Power One tech support came back to me and said that 90 degrees C was acceptable, but that ambient termperature in the environment should not exceed 55 degrees C. The internal hit 78.2 degrees C today...

@juniperz, Just looked at your pvoutput logs for the last few days - what's happeing at 3:05pm ?

Looks a nice curve, thoigh I wondered, does something create a shadow across the panels (roof onto garage? )or is is their a tree or telegraph pole?

Or is that when the inverter's at its hottest?

@juniperz, Just looked at your pvoutput logs for the last few days - what's happeing at 3:05pm ?

Looks a nice curve, thoigh I wondered, does something create a shadow across the panels (roof onto garage? )or is is their a tree or telegraph pole?

Or is that when the inverter's at its hottest?
You have a point - strange. I don't think it is when the inverter is at its hottest (that seems to be an hour earlier) but it interesting that the Temperature takes a dip at the same time.
There is not tree or pole, but the scaffolding is still up, so the top lift does cast a shadow on the garage - though I think that is a bit later in the day. And that 3:05 dip is always back on the normal curve by 3:15...

Scaffolding still up because I have them coming back to take a look at the tiles.

I got my wife to check the temperature in the attic - 42 degrees C at 4:20pm. I would like to know what it is at 2pm, when the inverter is at peak temp.

I am a bit disappointed that after the peak of 3608W on 19th July, I haven't got above 3339W since, in spite of gorgeous weather.

While I am rambling, anyone sending data to PVOutput.org using Aurora Monitor on a Raspberry Pi??

While I am rambling, anyone sending data to PVOutput.org using Aurora Monitor on a Raspberry Pi??

We'll we've got a couple of PI's here :) and that is one of the things we're going to be working on psot 1st August - do you kinow anyone whose done it yet?

I'd love to chat with them on the PI forums.

(RaspberryGeek is my son on the Raspberry Forums and I use his handle sometimes)

We'll we've got a couple of PI's here :) and that is one of the things we're going to be working on psot 1st August - do you kinow anyone whose done it yet?

I'd love to chat with them on the PI forums.

(RaspberryGeek is my son on the Raspberry Forums and I use his handle sometimes)

I guessed that was you - hence why I asked ;-)
I quickly decided that I was sad / geeky enough to want to do monitoring and found PVOutput, but I just don't have the time at the moment to figure out linux, even though I could see that the RPi would be the perfect low cost / low power solution for this. I took the easy way out and got an XP Samsung netbook for £50 on eBay. Simple to set up, not much more expensive than an RPi + wifi adapter, but higher power consumption. The Pi obviously doesn't have a screen, but the beauty of controlling it remotely, is that it doesn't matter. My netbook was cheap because I bought it knowing it had a dodgy screen.

I might order a Pi because I like a challenge when I have more time, and they are ridiculously cheap (£22). The problem seems to be testing - if I disconnect the netbook on a sunny day and the Pi doesn't work first time - which it won't for a variety of reasons, like USB drivers to start with - then I have lost a chunk of data that the netbook would have been collecting. And if I do this after dark, the inverter won't be producing any data to test!

I don't know anyone that has done it - the only reference I found to 'Aurora' on the RPi forums, was about controlling cylinder thermostats. If you get anywhere with this after 1st Aug, please let me know (though probably off forum as I think I have gone a bit off topic!).
I did find a useful thread about wireless drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's this rasberry stuff about then?

I too want to look at stuff like this in August, as it seems there's been a fair few new products come along recently.

Reply to I am a new PV householder - advice please. Unbalanced strings and wrong inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net