Discuss Important: Please Vote - What type phone do you use? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

What phone do you / will you use?

• Total voters
HTC desire. Do all my posts from it. Think I will stick with it unless iPhone give me a better package and without any connection faults. Think you may get a bigger response for this in chit chat room.

have a blackberry 8800 which never comes to site as too fragile and the internet browsing rubbish (way too slow to be useful).

woudl consider a nokia e series if internet is good. like things with keys though, cant get to grpis with touch screen. loved my old palm pilot and styles.

tWO CANS INFINATE STRING ATTACHED TO AN ABBACUS AND A BOX THAT CONTAINNA PEN PAPER AND CARRIER PIDGEON,BELOW IS THE ENCYCLOPIDIA BRITANICA , A DICTIONARY AND THESURUS --------------I REALLY SHOULD;NT DO THIS AFTER TWO BOTTLES OF WINE!

two cans infinate string attached to an abbacus and a box that containna pen paper and carrier pidgeon,below is the encyclopidia britanica , a dictionary and thesurus --------------i really should;nt do this after two bottles of wine!
pmsl pmsl

I've got a motorola V500 from like 2003. And I bought it 2nd hand! Never been interested in flashy phones, and for me I have to have a clamshell as I get so convered in dusty rubbish when I'm working it just ruins fancy phones.

So I'm no help in this survey, but do remember there are those without these poncey phones who like the website the way it is!!

Got the iphone 4 and get tortured with pesky emails from the gaffer.

Android phone (T-Mobile/Huwaei Pulse) on T-Mobile PAYG with 6 months web access for £20. Email, calendar, contacts, documents, all constantly sync-ed and no need for back-ups. And Google Maps and Sat Nav. And automatically backs up text messages to my gmail account. And no contract! If my phone or my computer need reformatting (both of which have happened to me) then no data loss. Am very dependant on Google, but have also got free website and domain name out of it.

Last edited:
Oh what an issue!

These damn things have been the absolute bane of my life this last year. And I *am* a gadget freak.

Long story, not very much shorter:

Our initial brief for a "fone", was that it would do email without glitches, phone calls (many of them seem not to any longer), google or other search, some sort of GPS/mapping, fairly good battery life, and reasonably tough.

For some stupid reason, we ended up with Blackberry 8900 Curve handsets on O2.

That lasted about two months, and most of that was complaint, large bill, complaint, cut off, large bill, complaint. I asked for that to be my new phone number too. However, tied into two contracts with them, we kept them as "spare phones".

Around March, we came across Vodafone "Clarity" - a business package for between one and fifty handsets. Brilliant. On paper.

After toying with iPhones (4 not out, didn't like that the "3's" wouldn't multitask or that they break very easily), and looking at various of the Android sets (I liked, but just wasn't convinced they'd do the email right), we went with the trusty, if very boring, Blackberry Bold 9700.

Good points: Optical touchpad, good battery life, bullet proof email, does what it says on the lid.

Bad points, Vodafone, Vodafone, Vodafone, Vodafone, Vodafone, Boring phone, and Vodafone.

Vodafone's idea of clarity is this: Take one director's existing dongle contract and add an initial three Bold 9700 handsets to it, on a 100 minute, naff all text package, EACH.

Two weeks later, send said director a bill at home for the sum of nearly fifteen hundred quid. This, a week AFTER hi-jacking his personal bank account, and removing said fifteen hundred quid, thank you.

Well, this is followed by various clawing back of the money through the bank, and argument with Vodadrone.

It took another six weeks to decide they'd made a mistake and would recalculate the bill. In that time, the handsets got cut off, put back on, cut off, had the BIS service changed for BES, had no data, had the wrong data, got cut off, got put back on.

Then another bill arrived......at my co-director's home, stating that unless the sum of £2250 was received in seven days, yup, phones would be cut off.

So, the cycle started again. By this time we've got another four handsets to worry about too (we've got them on PAYG for now, which ain't cheap!) plus the two O2 Curves.

After extremely "passionate" conversation with just about every department Vodafone have, in just about every country they operate in, we were promised that ALL the bad would be undone, and we would have our wish - to have a number of Bold handsets on Vodafone Clarity (at Clarity pricing on one contract, in the business name) all doing what they were meant to.

So, please, someone, explain to me why, a mere week later, the phones got cut off again, another demand was sent to my co-director's home, this time for £3690, and Vodafone didn't even have the courtesy to reply to any of our letters (you know, those written things people used to stick in bright red post boxes), and managed to set debt collectors on us within another week of that.

During all this, they'd managed to blame everyone save themselves too for all of this. Thing is, we'd used their site to calculate the Clarity costs, the number of months we'd had what we were supposed to, and offered to pay that amount, on the spot, just so long as they got it right.

We're not with Vodafone any longer.....

Currently, I have a Bold 9700 unlocked onto the O2 network with one of the "old" sims in it. It works fine, but it is still boring.

On a personal level, I thought it was worthwhile playing with something less boring, yet still wasn't fully convinced the iPhone was worth it. So I got myself an HTC desire, after seeing my Ex with her Wildfire.

Certainly, the Desire is the better handset as far as Android goes. But Android based stiff is missing a MAJOR trick in terms of business use. Business phones they isn't. While email generally works, it feels clunky, and GOD, I hate that virtual keyboard. I can't type on it properly yet, and I've had it four months now. I'm told the iPhone keyboard while similar is a lot better.

That's on T-Mobile, so far an surprisingly stable and decent network, from what I remember of old. Data is exceptionally good, and seems fast (faster than O2) wherever I go, plus its killer feature for me is a downloaded app which turns it into a "hot spot" so I can tether my laptop to it through WiFi, just like any WLAN, and off it goes! Fast enough even to "dial in" to remote CCTV DVR's and work on them.

However, the O2 contract is up in December - about a month, actually.

Looking to moving the number to T-Mobile, and have an "unlimited minutes and texts" type contract around £60 a month, if I can also find a way to get past this stupid 1Gb data they all seem to have brought in. It depends on what business contracts for multiple handsets they all offer to be honest, as I'd like to wrap them all up in one company contract.

As regards, handset - I'm fairly sure it is going to be time to have an iPhone 4 and give it a go, now that T-Mob are doing them (seems easier to get it through CPW than direct though for some reason), and me being me, I want the 32Gb one, not the baby!

I guess, after all that, the answer is Android and Blackberry now, iPhone soon.

mine says samsung on the front and its got a button to talk and a button to shut up. it's got some other things on like a camera and email and loads of things i don't know how to use, nor want to.

Bill, can you not use the block recogniser inpit method. Its been around for ages under the name of "Grafiti" (Palm Pilot) and allows you too use a form of hand writing recognition to input text. I have the HTC Touch 3G at the moment and have no problems with e-mail and everything syncs with Outlook (calander, contacts, specified files, tasks and notes etc). Now that Windows 7 is out Im going to upgrade again with HTC on Orange with the HTC Motzart.

Bill, can you not use the block recogniser inpit method. Its been around for ages under the name of "Grafiti" (Palm Pilot) and allows you too use a form of hand writing recognition to input text. I have the HTC Touch 3G at the moment and have no problems with e-mail and everything syncs with Outlook (calander, contacts, specified files, tasks and notes etc). Now that Windows 7 is out Im going to upgrade again with HTC on Orange with the HTC Motzart.

Seems not. The Desire has the multi-touch screen, and it attempts to guess at the word based on the "stab" you make at the keyboard, in either portrait or landscape modes. I probably just don't use it enough to train it (or me) properly.

As for the Outlook sync issue, a cautionary note.

I have this issue with both the Blackberry and the Desire - if you run 64 bit versions of Office, specifically Outlook, neither phone will sync. Blackberry will only say use the 32 bit version (yeah, cuz I fancy shelling out another hundred and odd quid to restore functionality I should have had for free anyhow) or in HTC's case, sync outlook to a GMail account, then use that for syncing calendar, contacts, and tasks. Pffffft. Google own enough of me as it is.

TBH, I'm a bit hi$$ed off with Microsoft, Blackberry, and HTC between them all - how hard could it be to update the whateveryoucallit32.dll to a whateveryoucallit64.dll? It is shocking, IMO that they all continue to claim compatibility with Outlook, and not one word about incompatibility with the 64 bit version.

I'm told, though have yet to prove, that Apple and the iPhone 4 has no such problems - it supports Outlook, and Exchange (not that we have that yet), in 32 or 64 bit modes, as well as others. Apparently it won't do MSN mail though (no loss to me, but I know many others with hotmail accounts).

Windows phone all the way. Wife just an Ericsson X10 mini, and it will not sync with Outlook. I currently have a HTC Touch 3G and will upgrade to a HTC Motzart when my contract expires next month. ANDROID, you can shove it wher the sun dont shine................:p

OK update..........you can stick Windows 7 too looks good, but wont sync with outlook on the computer (must have exchange service), now looking at Blackberry......

OK update..........you can stick Windows 7 too looks good, but wont sync with outlook on the computer (must have exchange service), now looking at Blackberry......

Careful with Blackberry too mate - certainly they do what they say on the tin, have good battery life, and exceptional at email, BUT........

If you have a 64 bit version of Outlook, forget syncing it, until next year at least.

On the plus side, you can do any email you like as it supports POP/IMAP and who knows what else through the BIS, you can do enterprise with BES light (free if you have your own exchange), and it's generally good for most things. I run a Bold 9700 at the moment, and apart from the sync issue, which is doing my head BIG time (but I have the same problem with my HTC Desire too), it does the job.

Bill, you can calibrate the keyboard to your own touch (further to the one you do the first time you switch the phone on), it asks you to type various words and notes the letters you have difficulty hitting so afterwards those letters have a larger area, though the keyboard looks the same. mine has worked great ever since.

Bill, you can calibrate the keyboard to your own touch (further to the one you do the first time you switch the phone on), it asks you to type various words and notes the letters you have difficulty hitting so afterwards those letters have a larger area, though the keyboard looks the same. mine has worked great ever since.

Thanks - will have a play in a bit and see what I can see with it! Be nice to type a sentence that looks something like the one I intended.

Mind you, that's the same problem on here, getting on for this part of the day.....lol!

iPhone.. Can't find one negative, I have an otter box case that completely covers the whole phone, sealed everywhere that matters, after a full day of chasing out and covered in dust I can take the phone out the case and it looks like new still..

My main priority on a phone is it's capabilities and not the way it looks.

5e06c2a1-39b4-159f.jpg

I know it looks abit of a poncy case but I'm not the tight t-shirt wearing, sleeves rolled once, hair gel'd everyday for work kind of person this case would make you think, They make me laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Important: Please Vote - What type phone do you use? in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net