Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

find the meter would be an idea. and 25/16 is a usual combination.

2 x 25 mm tails and a 16mm earth as the main incomer ! Never saw this before has anyone else? Couldn't find where they when,t too.. Don't they have to be 3 m max? Cheers
I have seen it many times actually, can we have more info so we can give a little more help!!!

I thought tails were only suppost to be 3 m long? Or is that just are side of the installation? Can honestly say I've never seen that before 2 tails an a earth coming out of the floor into the cut out.. Wernt sure what system it was either so done a pefc and psc and they were different so presume it must be tn-s

So you have a cuout you don't know the location of and an guess as to the distance from cutout to meter. Is that your scenario?
Anything on that side of the meter is not yours to fret about mate, do whatever it is you're there to do and walk on by. If you need to know where the cutout is then ring the DNO. It's their toy, they should know where they hid it.

A green "flexy pipe" going across a (presumably) green lawn, no safety issues at all there then eh.
So this is a sub main for some sort of garden install?

2 x 25 mm tails and a 16mm earth as the main incomer ! Never saw this before has anyone else? Couldn't find where they when,t too.. Don't they have to be 3 m max? Cheers

surely you understand basic electrical principles or please walk away

a quick glance in the onsite guide would tell you what you need to know with reguards to incomer type and the earth doesnt need to be the same size as line conductor unless a specific scenario.

as im guessing this is a test ill not divulge as its pretty obvious

and with the 3m rule i belive this is any fuse but im not sure wether its an actual rule or rule of thumb

Last edited:
This ain't no wind up! Went to a flat 2day top floor , and before the meter there was tails and a 16mm earth coming up from floor boards into main fuse then meter then onto db. As they were tails I thought they would be a 60amp fuse elsewhere in the flat cudnt find one anywhere or outside.. But I did notice this green pipe along the soil heading straight towards door for upstairs flat ! Surely that couldn't b the tails??

This ain't no wind up! Went to a flat 2day top floor , and before the meter there was tails and a 16mm earth coming up from floor boards into main fuse then meter then onto db. As they were tails I thought they would be a 60amp fuse elsewhere in the flat cudnt find one anywhere or outside.. But I did notice this green pipe along the soil heading straight towards door for upstairs flat ! Surely that couldn't b the tails??

Basically, you mean that rather then a concentric cable supplying the cutout, there was tails?
If this is the case, there will be a ryefield unit in the block of flats somewhere, if its a particularly scummy block it could be screwed into a riser, or locked under communal stairs etc. The ryefield will probably have 80A fuses for each flat.
I'm pretty sure that isn't the tails going over the garden

Yes that's what I,m saying but it was only 2 flats and there was no where to join it . No reiser no cupboard. Never saw that before

And your sure the tails don't come from another cutout in the downstairs flat?
Used to be common round our way to have 3 storeys blocks of flats with 3 phase cut-outs downstairs with L1 going ground floor L2 going to 1st floor (usually pyro) and L3 going to second floor (usually pyro).

Reply to Incomer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net