Discuss Insulation colours. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zakery

-
Reaction score
Is it ok to use red and black Twin and Earth if brown and blue sleeving is used at termination points ? This is a first post for me so be gentle chaps.

Shotgunsteve , the op is a retired electrician not a diyer, please be polite to new members.

You should apply too join the diy section of the forum
Having retired from the electrical fraternity many years ago I now find I have a question and was pointed in the direction of the forum for speedy answers, I will assume from your reply that you don't know or are just not the helpful kind. So much for my first post.

Is it ok to use red and black Twin and Earth if brown and blue sleeving is used at termination points ? This is a first post for me so be gentle chaps.

If it was in an installation that already contains red and black T&E, I wouldn't even sleeve it. Maybe not strictly to the current regs, but I don't see this as a safety issue.

Fair enough, no harm done. It is in his profile and not on his post. Maybe an old reel of cable he has knocking around.

Thanks for the team work GMES.

As you have said I tried to put all the worries of the world of work behind me and any mention of reg's etc upset the somewhat easy life I was trying to find but I have been put in a situation where there is a quantity of 1.0 mm T & E available to use and I am not wanting to trawl through loads of info' when I have been shown this forum especially when I've a life to lead

I suppose strictly speaking as long as you identify the cables at the termination points then I cannot see an issue. However I personally would not install this cable.

As you have said I tried to put all the worries of the world of work behind me and any mention of reg's etc upset the somewhat easy life I was trying to find but I have been put in a situation where there is a quantity of 1.0 mm T & E available to use and I am not wanting to trawl through loads of info' when I have been shown this forum especially when I've a life to lead

First of all Zakery welcome to the forum. Rapparee was only informing you that we have a DIY section which your question looked like. After looking at your profile and seeing you are a retired ONC Electician (most people dont look at that but I'm a bit sad, and its part of my duties). Retired Electricians have a certain status on this forum, dont judge us just yet, we are nice people.

Of course you can use any colour cable you want to sir, only thing you have to do with todays Regs is identification of conductors at each terminal. I might be tempted to give the old reel a 500V IR test first just for peace of mind after being in storage for a while but it will be fine.

Many thanks to all for your help, I will ensure the cable that has been installed is sleeved and add the notice to the cu, the rest of the cable can be scrapped. The wiring was already in before I was aware of the colours.

I have been put in a situation where there is a quantity of 1.0 mm T & E available to use

I would ask why are you installing old colours???

Retired sparky with a few reels still in storage I guess. I'm just waiting for the first person to ask if it is notifiable work and covered under part-p!!!!! Be nice to the new member please, after all he has been a sparky most of his life.

Reply to Insulation colours. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net