Discuss interconnections on ring how to carry on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

domn

at a job today i tested the ring to make sure we can extend it phase .31 neutral .34 and earth .24 r1 plus r2 at ..13 so that checks out ive checked for interconnections and think its going to be at jboxes under the floor (it's a bit of a diy house )
whats the way forward as customer doesn't want floors lifting etc can i just note on cert that the readings are not what they should be but still safe etc
i also found a bit of 1mm connected into the back of the cooker switch cpc snipped off ran to a metal cooker hood pushed through a drilled hole and quite frayed not the best

i know that its wrong ive checked the ring for interconnections and it looks like its been done in jboxes under the floor the customer doesn't want the floor lifted to find (sorry just read what i posted i ment that the r1 r2 test confirmed the readings from the end to end test) really just asking about recording and carrying on

Yes but it usually a high r2 thats a problem.

Ok its not the expected reading, there's some form of parallel path thing going on, you didn't install it, the reading(s) are BETTER than could be hoped for. Whats der problem

i know its better than expected i was just a bit unsure if i would have to make a note on it because its not what was expected if you know what i mean

Not necessarily, the R2 resistance is usually higher granted, however this is an existing installation and there are probably other parallel earth paths. If the R2 was higher than x 1.67 then further investigation would be required

r2 is not necessarily `better than expected` at all.....it may be the correct value....
r1 and rn however...

but as r1 and rn are about the same this points to the readings being ok and i ring on a 3 bed semi also looks about right no loose connections etc in sockets or at board. not finished job as we will be back in the morning when i will do all the tests at each socket

does it?..
yes i think it does to get a high reading on both which from loose bad connections that read about the same would be some bad luck don't you think

im open to suggestions though whats your thinking being them being high not the cpc being lower

it may be that a section of the `ring` is without a CPC...and the CPC from the sections that have it have been jointed someware...to create the illusion of a CPC throughout the whole of the ring...so...
an R1 R2 at every point served should verefy this.....

it may be that a section of the `ring` is without a CPC...and the CPC from the sections that have it have been jointed someware...to create the illusion of a CPC throughout the whole of the ring...so...
an R1 R2 at every point served should verefy this.....

no its all twin t+e (what i can see ) ill be doing the r1r2 at all points tomorrow i was just starting this when the lad showed me the 1mm so i got rid of that first .
if im right on the lower cpc do i need to put this on cert ?

Reply to interconnections on ring how to carry on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net