Discuss Is anyone else having trouble finding people to work? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Out of all us full-time S.E. sparks, I just wondered if I'm alone in not being able to find some decent short-term labour? Having done the usual asks with the wholesalers, an ad on here, an ad via the Job Centre and after two weeks not a single enquiry. So the economy is clearly that good again, yes?

Chatting to one wholesaler this morning and he was saying that several other sparks in my area have been asking the same question - we're all ramped and need help but no takers. Is this the same elsewhere??

several other sparks in my area have been asking the same question - we're all ramped and need help but no takers. Is this the same elsewhere??

I never realised that English was understood on other planets
icon7.png

Only joking Rock
icon11.png

Forget an agency mate....all they will do is provide you with1 unsuitable bloke after another until by chance they hit on the right one....and charge you loads for it.
It all depends on if your prepared to commit for the longer term to a potential employee? Dont forget the colleges have just started the academic year and I can guarentee you will find someone willing to learn and reliable there...........

Thats the trouble, not neccesesarily finding someone but finding someone half decent, (not even electrically skilled just someone with the right attitude!) dont even bother with the agencies they are normally full of clowns,

as said above the colleges do training schemes round my way where they actually pay you to take on a trainee from the college, you can pay the trainee if you like but its more for his experience, and if you dont like him just return him and pick someone else, if you have got an apprentice in mind that is?

Thats the trouble, not neccesesarily finding someone but finding someone half decent, (not even electrically skilled just someone with the right attitude!) dont even bother with the agencies they are normally full of clowns,

as said above the colleges do training schemes round my way where they actually pay you to take on a trainee from the college, you can pay the trainee if you like but its more for his experience, and if you dont like him just return him and pick someone else, if you have got an apprentice in mind that is?

that sounds like a dog shelter for young sparks,why not take someone on and train him send him to college etc.. hopefully you will end up with a well trained loyal spark to work along side,a spark is for life,not just for christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of all us full-time S.E. sparks, I just wondered if I'm alone in not being able to find some decent short-term labour? Having done the usual asks with the wholesalers, an ad on here, an ad via the Job Centre and after two weeks not a single enquiry. So the economy is clearly that good again, yes?

Chatting to one wholesaler this morning and he was saying that several other sparks in my area have been asking the same question - we're all ramped and need help but no takers. Is this the same elsewhere??

Where are you based? I'm in Bristol. Are you looking for just a labourer/mate or are you looking for a competent reliable person to work alongside you as and when required?

I'm self employed, have my own van and tools (including test equipment) recently passed my Elecsa assessment and two years experience whilst studying:thumbsup

The training centres are "pumping" out people on a regular basis, why not approach one or two and see if they have any flexible, eager workers available!!!

The training centres are "pumping" out people on a regular basis, why not approach one or two and see if they have any flexible, eager workers available!!!

I know New Career Skills in Southampton have a "Access" programme which tries to encourage local sparks to assist with helping new candidates acquire in field experience:thumbsup

I don't see how you're any more likely to get someone 'decent' from a jobcentre than an agency.
Consider what kind of personal circumstances a competent, reliable person would need to be in to want to and be able to do a few casual days here and there.
Yes there are a lot of clowns working for agencies, many do it because they can't get a company to employ them because they're rubbish.

If you want someone "good" you have the option of either taking someone on full time and moulding them into your ideal worker, or trying agency workers until you find one you like, but in either case they're unlikely to want to wait around for you if you haven't got any work for them - they'll go elsewhere, perhaps permanently.

which adds to the problems we have,we dont need a conveyor belt of half baked sparks who have been relived of their money shall we say,we need real apprenticeships and real training in the classroom and on site.

which adds to the problems we have,we dont need a conveyor belt of half baked sparks who have been relived of their money shall we say,we need real apprenticeships and real training in the classroom and on site.

With attitudes like this how on earth do you expect these chaps and chapesses to gain some good experience???

These schemes are here to stay, sure they need to be "improved" but don't you think that some of the people coming out of them will have the right attitude, and aptitude to become good sparks?

With attitudes like this how on earth do you expect these chaps and chapesses to gain some good experience???

These schemes are here to stay, sure they need to be "improved" but don't you think that some of the people coming out of them will have the right attitude, and aptitude to become good sparks?

i dont see it as bad attitude,i can get angry at people spending thousands of pounds which they may or may not have on false promises of 50k wages and loads of work,it wont happen,blame the bad attitude on these training centres and agencys and companies who want sparks to pay to play instead of training sparks themselves,surely thats a fair system

I think if i was in that position, i would make the effort to go and talk to the tutors at the local collage. They would be the people to ask for a recommendation on which of their students, would make a good investment to your business in exchange for good on the job training and experience.... Plus a little remuneration for the help they will give you!!! lol!!!

This has turned into a really interesting thread, lots of people with clearly different experiences but also a main theme - if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself!!

I'm all up for doing a proper apprenticeship for the right young person, the issue there is starting with the right person - you need someone with common sense and a decent work attitude to begin with. So it's difficult to make the judgement call.

Then there are the guys already on college courses who need work experience - same thing applies, but you only see them a day or so a week by which time they've forgotten everything you taught them.

Then there are the 'aspiring grown ups' and whether it's fair or not there's always that thought that they might try to walk off with your clients.

And unless you can guarantee you've got a full diary for the un-forseeable future then it's just not fair to take on people properly as qualified sparks on the books.

So the bloke on his own (like me) is always likely to take the path of least grief - you work twice as hard on your own whilst whinging about the people with no experience under-cutting you because they've got £8k stacked on a credit card after paying for their quals.

Meanwhile.... I'm still trying to find someone for an honest week or so of hard graft in the rain.

Well it depends on how fast they are dragging the SWA through the mud first as to how quick they can get going with all the hidden security lighting in the forest undergrowth. Once that's done, then they can start first fixing in the freezing cold. But it's dry at that point.

What?? Am I not selling it properly??

Reply to Is anyone else having trouble finding people to work? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net