Discuss JIB - Is it me or am I really graded as this? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MrSkipsey

Phoned the JIB today to get my card as most places now seem to be asking for it.
Told them I was self employed and had 2330 2 & 3 under my belt.

My grade....Labourer :eek: !??!!? Reason......Im not employed! :D Once I explained I was self employed, worked for myself rattled off a few jobs she said.......

"Well if you get a company to fill it in were probably give you adult trainee"........Im 31. Tell me why I bother?

I thought Level 2 gave you Improver status
Level 3 plus 17th gave you electrician status
Level 3 plus 2391 gave you approved electrician

She muttered something about not having NVQ3 which I havent but I wasnt aware that this was part of the grading as Im sure you can supply a letter from your employee saying that your competent, educated to 'xx' level and should be deemed to have an electrician grading.

Can someone correct me if Ive got this all out of sink as I didnt let them have any of my papaerwork and said Id pop back.

Mike.

They told me the same, im classed as a trainee, to be come an electrician i have to pay a company £££ to do a NVQ3 even though i have 12 years on the job experience, my 2391 and 17th (im self employed too) its all about money :rolleyes:

They told me the same, im classed as a trainee, to be come an electrician i have to pay a company £££ to do a NVQ3 even though i have 12 years on the job experience, my 2391 and 17th (im self employed too) its all about money :rolleyes:

Stevey does it effect your hourly rate? I know your SE too but say you was to work as a subbie and only had a JIB labourer card youd only get labourer rates. If yuo produced your certs to show that your C&G qualified will they alter your rate even though your card states labourer?

I know what you mean about the money side of it. £600 for an NVQ3!

it depeneds, working for a agency they will only pay you the rate you are graded at, some companies know that its just a card and the proof is in the work, on a job i ran last year (as a sub-contractor) i went through 7 so called JIB approved electricians who had a nice shiney jib card with approved status but none of them were any good, i think the main thing is to have some good refences really

Rest easy guys.... you don't need an expensive NVQ3 as I was ex RAF, 2391, 17th etc but no 2330 or NVQ, the company I worked for applied for my JIB card and I was graded status as Electrician job title Installation Electrician on the reverse it lists all qualifications held including 'Industry Assessed' negating a need for NVQ3 etc. Hope this helps!

Rest easy guys.... you don't need an expensive NVQ3 as I was ex RAF, 2391, 17th etc but no 2330 or NVQ, the company I worked for applied for my JIB card and I was graded status as Electrician job title Installation Electrician on the reverse it lists all qualifications held including 'Industry Assessed' negating a need for NVQ3 etc. Hope this helps!

How did your company manage to get you that grade? Im back in the office on Thursday so they can fill in the specific sponsor parts of the JIB form but they arent JIB registered.
If they fill in the grade electrician will that be given on the card?

I wish the JIB would sort it out and make it more easy to follow on their website. Its very confusing!!

The company if I recall was JIB registered however the JIB sponsorship/application form may be countersigned by someone holding a professional qualification within your company. You apply for the grade you require and give details of prior knowledge and qualifications, should JIB be satisfied you have met the relevant criteria you will be issued your card!

jib seem to think they run the world and are gods ! the way i see it is why should you pay them money to confirm your qualified ? if a company wont take your qualifications as gospal and proof of competence thats their problem ! theres enough rip off schemes out there already no diff from me saying show me your quals and i will give you a card saying yep your an electrician ! now give me £300 please ! total rip off JIB ! think i will start one off for plumbing and call it a jab card and plastering and call that a job card etc how rich ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to go through this myself...yeah been self employed the whole time done theold 236 part 1 then had to go back and do the 2330 2 and 3 NVQlevel which cost me £800 now gone uo to £1100 at my college done my 17th ed and currently doing the 2391 but you need that NVQ3 for the pratical side of the course when you get your JIB card it says NVQ level 3 17th ed not city and guilds as the nvq3 is the standard. I reckon its not about being in this trade but training people thats where the money is at.

Can someone correct me if Ive got this all out of sink as I didnt let them have any of my papaerwork and said Id pop back.

Mike.[/quote]

Phoned the JIB today to get my card as most places now seem to be asking for it.

My grade....Labourer :eek: !??!!? Reason......Im not employed! :D Once I explained I was self employed, worked for myself rattled off a few jobs she said.......

"Well if you get a company to fill it in were probably give you adult trainee"........Im 31. Tell me why I bother?

She muttered something about not having NVQ3 which I havent but I wasnt aware that this was part of the grading as Im sure you can supply a letter from your employee saying that your competent, educated to 'xx' level and should be deemed to have an electrician grading.

Spot on with the letter from your employer bit Roggi stating your competency, but they do ask for evidence to back up your claim... for instance if applying for Approved Electrician they require evidence of supervisory skills not just Level 3 and 2391... but tbh I have never used my card yet for anything other than extending my CSCS for an extra year!

If you come under the 2330 you need the NVQ3 to have the full pratical side crap I know especially if you have enough experience starting a job right through to testing.
I paid £800 quid for mine only cos the college said it was going up to £1100 next yeah ...I told the tutor its crap and the guy above him...People Ive seen doing the NVQ 3 take pictures of other peoples work anyway and claim it as their own.. Well who are you cheating are ask? yourself cos down the line you'll get found out for not being able to do the work.
I'm self employed and found it hard but anyone can sponsor you and better if they have a JIB card as you wont need to pay for your own.
Yeah you do need the NVQ3 thats what goes on your card now not your city and guilds as the NVQ3 is seen to be above the 2330 and seen as the standard plus any other qualifications 17th Edition 2391 etc will go on.
I blame the colleges they just want to make a whole lot of money out of you...oh yes if your above 21 i believe you do not need to do the AM2

Mike.

This is just to get your Electricans grade, send off all your certs with NVQ3 Dont actually need a letter just a signature from a Manager supervisor stated you've worked for em for x amount of time or KNown to them for a minimum 2 years I think. Six weeks later JIB Card.
Spot on with the letter from your employer bit Roggi stating your competency, but they do ask for evidence to back up your claim... for instance if applying for Approved Electrician they require evidence of supervisory skills not just Level 3 and 2391... but tbh I have never used my card yet for anything other than extending my CSCS for an extra year!

It does make me wonder when some people get a JIB card as to what their discipline is... an RAF colleague of mine managed to secure a JIB Approved Electrician graded card before leaving the RAF but his discipline on the card is electronics not much use if wanting to be a domestic/commercial electrician. I worked for a company for two years doing anything and everything from wiring a 5 bed luxury house to fixing the alarm in a GAME shop in Newbury to fitting a new 3 phase supply in the Honda HQ canteen in Slough. Point being when I applied for my card it was not as Approved but was in the right discipline as Installation Electrician. Gained through sheer hard work and experience!

Had to go through this myself...yeah been self employed the whole time done theold 236 part 1 then had to go back and do the 2330 2 and 3 NVQlevel which cost me £800 now gone uo to £1100 at my college done my 17th ed and currently doing the 2391 but you need that NVQ3 for the pratical side of the course when you get your JIB card it says NVQ level 3 17th ed not city and guilds as the nvq3 is the standard. I reckon its not about being in this trade but training people thats where the money is at.

Mike.

Hi

Just wondering what the hell is improver status????? A done my time in scotland and unless you done your 3rd year course it was made very obvious you will never be approved!!! think it is so strange that the jib and the sjib have different rules!!! ave been out my time for 10 years and am just about to sit my approved,if some guys think they desrve it after a few courses and a few years house bashing!!!!! experience counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!then think how a feel!!!!!!!!!!ave done a 4 year apprenticeship,worked on the rigs and wired mrs smiths fuse board!!!lol which is pretty bad for the norm spark!!!give me industrial anyday!!!!!! now they deem it ok to TRY!!!!for my approved!!!! i have to sit a test that cost £350!!!so if improver means some late starter!!! then wait yer turn!!!ave done this since a was 15!!!! be thankfull of the opportunity!!!!!! not having a personell go at any1,and good for u if you get into the game!!!but imagine how annoyed a feel cause the sjib changed the rules in 1995!!!!its absolute b~~~~it!!!!:mad:

Mike.
To achive the grade of electrician you need - C&G 2360 or 2330 up to level 3, NVQ3 in Electrotechnical, AM2 test plus working as an apprentice with an electrical contractor. The IEE web site has a .pdf file stating this on it.

You dont need AM2 for Electrician grade...

JIB Grading Definitions - Electrician Grade
Please see Item 2 on the the page you spplied a link to, and note 1. For about the past 4 years now the AM2 is part of the NVQ3 and accounts for the 3rd occasion on the 4 safety critical units. THe NVQ3 has to be completed in total which means the AM2 must be passed. This does make the the NVQ3 easier and quicker to complete.
This is the correct route for an apprentice who is classed as a 'New Entrant' other routes are 'Practicing Operative' and 'Occupational Enhancement' with these you can miss the AM2 test by asking your employer to provide witness testimonies /observations to cover a job you have done that meets the criteria of a third occasion in the NVQ3 standards.

You dont need AM2 for Electrician grade...

JIB Grading Definitions - Electrician Grade
Please see Item 2 on the the page you spplied a link to, and note 1. For about the past 4 years now the AM2 is part of the NVQ3 and accounts for the 3rd occasion on the 4 safety critical units. THe NVQ3 has to be completed in total which means the AM2 must be passed. This does make the the NVQ3 easier and quicker to complete.
This is the correct route for an apprentice who is classed as a 'New Entrant' other routes are 'Practicing Operative' and 'Occupational Enhancement' with these you can miss the AM2 test by asking your employer to provide witness testimonies /observations to cover a job you have done that meets the criteria of a third occasion in the NVQ3 standards.

Reply to JIB - Is it me or am I really graded as this? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net