Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Kitchen rewire and new main board in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

Hi,

We have recently purchased an 1800s 3 bed terraced house and have been told we need the electrics looked at.

The main board has not been changed since the 1960s and we wanted to find a competent electrician who can get this done for us over the next few weeks. We're in the Scottish Borders.

We also have been told we should rewire the whole property and decided to do it on a room by room basis starting with the kitchen, which needs (so we have been told) a total rewire, new sockets, new cooker socket and switch etc.

We'd like whoever quotes us to take a look at the lighting as we were informed it needs to be updated too.

Basically I want to find somebody competent who isn't going to charge us the earth and can come out before Christmas to do the essentials for us - the rest after New Year. Anybody? :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    Hello Kitty and welcome to the forum. Someone will be along soon from your end of the Earth and help you out.
    Until then . . . .

3. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

Ha; thank you! :)

In the meantime....if anybody wants to give an idea of ballpark price we would be looking at then that would be great. I can provide a breakdown of what we think needs doing if that's helpful.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

It would be wrong to give you a figure of costings from afar. However, if you describe you property, members may give you some price ranges. Different properties present different installation difficulties.

Will you be living in the property, whilst the proposed work takes place?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Welcome

I think you need to be a little bit more precise about your location...... Scottish Borders as a little vague IMHO

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

I didn’t know there even was electricity in the Scottish Borders?

Blimey!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

Yes i appreciate that :)

I don't have a picture of the main unit but was told it's 1960s (black individual sections). The house has 3 bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, living room and attic.

We will be living there while work is being carried out- another electrician told us one day to do the main board and a further 2 days for the kitchen rewire which will include fitting sockets, installing cooker etc.

8. diditrain

diditrain Electrician's Arms

Doing it bit by bit will probably cost you more in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

I thought that might be the case but nfortunately doing it all at once isn't an option for us financially with Christmas coming up :(

10. Midwest

Perhaps arrange the rewire for when you go away on holiday next year Kitty?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Midwest

To start things off, I would charge around £400ish for a bog standard dual RCD CU change, including short distance meter tail change, but not including replacment of any required gas & water bonding.

Rewires were not my bag.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Midwest

Is there a rush?

13. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Hi @Kitty0307@Kitty0307 from the south so prices are usually a bit higher here. I have done electrical work in Scotland when I moved from London, I got a lot of complaints about my "London" prices! However that aside I notionally work on £1000 per bedroom i.e. £3000 for your house. That would be a no frills sockets and lights up and down, a separate socket circuit for the kitchen. Now if you also add the attic then more. If you have an outbuilding and lights outside even more! Putting you off yet? It at least gives you a reference point to plan your budget. Finally any good electrician will be booked up to christmas and there is no chance of getting one imho. Make sure they are properly registered and bona fide sparks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

Would have loved to do this but we were told by the electrician who came out that the wiring isn't safe- the lights in particular are 1940s lead coated (?) And he said that we need to address the rewire urgently. Would have been my preference to avoid it until spring so we could escape for a bit while it was being done (and avoid the Christmas broke period). However we need some sockets and cooker hooked up in our kitchen and the electrician we saw said he couldn't do that and would recommend the new board and kitchen rewire first. :(

15. Kitty0307

Kitty0307 EF Member

Ha! Thanks for your reply :) not putting me off - it's sort of what I expected to be honest. We've been quoted £850 Just for the kitchen rewire and £700 for replacing the main board..felt this was kind of high but then I don't know anything about electrics so who am I to say?! :)
    We got told rewiring the lights in the house would be more on top of this (and obviously any other rooms we choose to do later more again). What does anybody think?