Discuss Kitchen Wiring Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'll give you 10 out of 10 for honesty

May be read up on this stuff and while you're at it look at the importance of earthing and bonding too, plus RCD protection.

We sparks have to provide all this stuff which makes people think we are over charging or charging for unnecessary work .......... but the reality is that we have to comply with BS 7671 and in England & Wales Part P too
Solid advice.. I am aware of bonding and rcd protection however I am probably still working to the 15th edition, which I know isn’t Good enough for a single circuit.. I was well out of the trade by the time part p was introduced which again I know isn’t an excuse and I hope I don’t attract too much flack. I work safely but appreciate that safely has moved it’s parameters quite a lot and for good reason

Hi Mickus, I have moved this to the DIY section and thus not approved your duplicate thread, repeating threads in different forums only leads to confusion for members and staff.
On the note of advice, the regulations are very different from those of the eighties, I know, I did my apprenticeship during them, having said that the basis of calculating cable size remains pretty much the same.
The advice you have been given is more than we would normally give you since you are too far removed from the industry now, I think your honesty and the fact you have a little history in the trade won you a few brownie points.
That aside and noting what has been expressed already, you will need to catch up on requirements to this circuit which should now be looking to meet the 18th edition although I do not think there is much difference to what your are doing from the 17th edition requirements in all honesty but it must be tested out so I suggest a 3rd party to sign it off for you and keep you within regulatory requirements.
May I ask why you packed the trade in?.. the eighties was a good wage and plenty of work out there.
All solid advice and I had forgotten how proud sparkys are of their trade and skills it’s s fast advancing trade . I will get it tested. On face value it seems a lot of fuss about a single circuit when I have done a lot more in the past.. but I appreciate the implications of doing it wrong..I left to persue a career within the outdoor industry following my passion rather than the pound.. I made and spent a lot working away from home back in the 80s all good days ...

There are lots of cable calculators out there, but it would be a simple calculation. You'll need the maximum load (you can apply diversity to cooking appliances), length of cable, type of cable, installation method & allowance for voltage drop, if applicable.

Why not try that & come back with some figures?

@Murdoch. why the dislike. all i can see is typo 1365 should be 1363.

OP: Are you doing any other works in your kitchen along with the cooker? I'm thinking sockets?

Its just if you come on here and mention a "Ring Main Circuit" I think there is going to be trouble :p

Reply to Kitchen Wiring Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net