Discuss least likely van to be broken into in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,PEM, just my input,lots of my pals went down the same route,but you cannot get one vehicle that does ALL duties well. The Navara is a good yoke,but long items such as ladders end up on some roof rack creation or sloped up out of the pickup like an IRA pipe bomb,your expensive items get dumped over the rear seats or in the rear where you crawl in like a cornish tin miner.You can set them up for rear side access,but now it's a van with the cupboards on the outside,and emptying it dosent give you back a pickup. I went for the full size 4 WD years back,and work out of the rear,it takes 10 mins to get 5 seats,and 20 mins for 7 seats to appear,it tows the 3.5 tonne trailer and does me fine. My friend,who is a farrier,set up his Navara for the shoeing job,and it is now,he says,ideal.The down side is it looks like the child-catchers carriage from Chitty chitty Bang bang...It's all about what you are happy compromising on,and then getting on with it. Good luck :devilish:

My van isn't sign written, but there is a roof rack covered in ladders and steps which kind of gives the game away a bit!

Good advice PEG it's about compromise. Was toying with a large 4WD but trying to keep the crap off the back seats etc.
Comment about signs interesting as I use magnetic ones don't look as good as the proper job but once there off no indication of what could be inside.
Cheers guys for the input.

It all comes down to sign writing imo...

If there is none the thief is guessing...
--- Electrical they will have a go at it
--- Painting and Decorating they'll leave it alone. You'll not win many customers over turning up to a job like that though. Can't win really.

Get one with no rear windows and a bulkhead. Far from theif proof but it makes it a little more difficult

Following on from this. How about having a big sign with "---- Lubricant" on the side of your van. No one will break into it. You will just get some funny looks when you pull up to a customers house though...

Get yourself an old undertakers hurst with smoked windows , you ca n put you tools in a coffin , should have no problem then ..
a mate of mine had one,he was a photography student and had a weird sense of humour,anyway he got a second hand coffin(don't ask) and kept it in the back.One night he was in Blackpool and having had a few decided to get his head down in the back,he got into the coffin(told you he was weird) and went to sleep.In the early hours he gets woken up by a loud hissing noise,lifts the lid and looks out to find a drunk peeing on the side of the hearse,he banged on the window and the bloke crapped himself and collapsed.The police were less than impressed when they turned up.

Guys just thought I'd share this with you, I have had my Ford Transit stolen from the road outside my house, the van had additional dead locks fitted and a tool safe.

The saving grace is that the safe was empty as my tools are stored indoors over night.

I think the van must have been towed away, as there is no glass on the road. My next van will have an alarm and tracker fitted.

Guys just thought I'd share this with you, I have had my Ford Transit stolen from the road outside my house, the van had additional dead locks fitted and a tool safe.

The saving grace is that the safe was empty as my tools are stored indoors over night.

I think the van must have been towed away, as there is no glass on the road. My next van will have an alarm and tracker fitted.

Did you leave window open slightly? If you did you can force them down on some vans.

Unless you learn how to break into your own model how can you stop others getting in.

Id recommend you research it a bit and cctv on outside of house would be a good idea

Tough break londoneic hope when or if they're caught you get the chance to tighten some heads with a very very long Phillips screwdriver!!!

Same happened to me years back,lost £13500 worth of tackle and the van...gutted,jacked and took a year off,when i set up again,got the big Patrol,never looked back. Like the ---- lubricant idea,only difference in my town is the rrrs oles that turn up will just be dry ones...but they'll still come...:cool3:

Reply to least likely van to be broken into in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net