Discuss LED ceiling lights in bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm getting to the 2nd fix stage at long last. I've taken advice from this forum and decided to fit fire rated LED's throughout the house. I've never installed LED's before and usually in the bathroom I would fit a batten holder or a ceiling rose with a HO skirt on! Going back a bit! Question is, are there any restrictions fitting LED's in bathrooms? They are all outside any zone areas. However my concern is the one above the actual shower area. I'm thinking about the environment to which it and possibly others are being subjected to. Any thoughts Gents? Thanks

above shower i'f fit an IPX4 or better, no matter whether it's in a zone or not.

above shower i'f fit an IPX4 or better, no matter whether it's in a zone or not.

Could I tell the customer that the fittings he supplied are not suitable for purpose and do not comply with BS7671? As opposed to it would be better to go for a IPX4? Don't get me wrong, I agree with both of your recommendations. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Belts n braces with safety pin.

Any one know the make of LED light fittings that use the green click male / female type connections? I've only seen them once and all info at home. The ones that i have to install require a 65mm hole.

Could I tell the customer that the fittings he supplied are not suitable for purpose and do not comply with BS7671? As opposed to it would be better to go for a IPX4? Don't get me wrong, I agree with both of your recommendations. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Belts n braces with safety pin.

If the fittings are not fit for the environment they will be used in, then they will not meet the requirements of BS7671. It is your professional judgement that will decide whether they are fit or not.

I fit IPX4 light fittings as standard in any area in a bathroom.

Obviously the regs call for certain IP ratings within certain zones of the special location. If the lights are outside the zones then they do not have to have any specific IP rating as far as section 701 is concerned.

However the regs also call for equipment to be appropriate for the external influences likely to be encountered in the installed situation. (132.5, 133.3, 512.2).

In a bathroom situation, all equipment will be subject to moisture from water vapour, especially the lighting. You could use the above regs to argue your case of the provided lights not being suitable. In my opinion the same argument could also be applied to the battens and pendants you usually fit too.

I fit IPX4 light fittings as standard in any area in a bathroom.

Obviously the regs call for certain IP ratings within certain zones of the special location. If the lights are outside the zones then they do not have to have any specific IP rating as far as section 701 is concerned.

However the regs also call for equipment to be appropriate for the external influences likely to be encountered in the installed situation. (132.5, 133.3, 512.2).

In a bathroom situation, all equipment will be subject to moisture from water vapour, especially the lighting. You could use the above regs to argue your case of the provided lights not being suitable. In my opinion the same argument could also be applied to the battens and pendants you usually fit too.
Thanks...is IPX4 the same as or better than IP65?

no. the highere the number, the better the protection. google IP ratings and print off the list.

no. the highere the number, the better the protection. google IP ratings and print off the list.

Thanks . had a read etc (whilst at work) so hopefully interrupted correctly......IP65 is better than IPX4. I see many light fittings I have looked at online refer to IP65. Can't recall any saying IPX4. 4 = for water spay.. 5 = water from nozzle.

As Tel says, the higher the better. You should be fully aware of the meaning of IP ratings to be quite honest. I should have said IPX4 as a minimum.

I've got a vague idea about IP ratings etc, but I'm not a practicing electrician as such, been out of the game many years. I knew of IP65 but not IP4X. Thanks for reply.

Looked on line what customer has brought for the whole house...turns out the fittings are IP44 rated anyhow. Therefore I was worrying about nothing really. I suppose IP65 would of been better though.

I've used them, they seemed like excellent kit to me, however they were pretty damn bright! Depends what the customer wants intensity wise.

Well , ! sort of planned it for 3w upstairs when 1st fixing, but just left switch wire in loft ready for 2nd fixing after plastering and holes cut. I decided due to 7w each LED I would put less in. Going to be different story downstairs as I can't get to them. They look OK, neat way to connect them. I did practice fit some 15mm plaster board, found to be very tight in 65mmm hole.

Reply to LED ceiling lights in bathrooms in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net