Discuss Local Council and Inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdsUk

Hi all

I have looked around the forum for the answer but haven't found as of yet.

I've always had a grey area on understanding the building control for inspection and testing.

I am fully qualified (17th edition, c&g 2330 level 2+3, 2394, 2395) and i'm not part of a body i.e NIC,Elecsa etc.

I know i am legally allowed to test, but do i need to notify building control to be able to certify ?

Thank you

For doing eicrs you don't have to notify building control.]

Only need to notify if you are working in a room with a bath/shower or you have made a new circuit or you change a CU

Notification is not reqd for Inspection and test, but as yellowvanman says notification is reqd for work in those areas, but his list is not comprehensive. If you are not sure of what is notifiable or not, then search Approved document P, this will answer all your questions, and is free to download. You need to know, cos if you dont comply with building regs, it will sting badly in court.

Cheers............Howard

Hi all

I have looked around the forum for the answer but haven't found as of yet.

I've always had a grey area on understanding the building control for inspection and testing.

I am fully qualified (17th edition, c&g 2330 level 2+3, 2394, 2395) and i'm not part of a body i.e NIC,Elecsa etc.

I know i am legally allowed to test, but do i need to notify building control to be able to certify ?

Thank you

Of what? If it falls under part P you WILL need to be part of a scheme and you can't just inspect and test a 3rd parties work

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

The only thing that im now unsure of is what Murdoch said.

Why, if i am fully qualified (2394/2395) for testing, why do i need to be part of a scheme??

I was under the impression having 2395 (and expreince) allowed me to test someone elses work?

I always find it strange that an engineer qualified to complete test and inspection work can't undertake minor works or installs without scam membership or local building control?? If they aren't 'competent' to install the work how can they possibly be competent to carry out an inspection and give notice of departures from the regs on the same installation??

Paultrim, exactly.

People get these qualifications with relevant experience, yet you have to join a ''scheme'' to be able to do this work without being ripped off by building control.

Hi to all, I like AdsUK have all of thoese qualls ie 2391, 2392, 17th etc and now about to study the 2393 for electricians (part P). I was told by the college that by passing this course I would have the option of notifying the relievant building bodies per job, and paying through the nose or joining one of the governing bodies(NAPIT), and paying less (after the fees etc). Is this information correct? If so this might help your dilema. All this of course is dependant on the frequency of jobs, and what works out in your favour. Thanks in advance

If you are "competent" you can inspect & test to your hearts content on any installations you are "competent" on!. Definition of "competent" is a bit harder to define, but as SirKit breaker alludes to, competence will ultimately be judged in a court if your "competence" is called into question for work you have inspected & tested. Beware what you get involved in on inspection & testing unless you truely feel you are "competent" through a combination of electrical experience on that installation, knowledge of the testing process/instrumentation and the ability to technically interpretate results you get!

To sign off someone elses work on an EIC would be a no-no unless you have witnessed the whole of the new installation work --- without that you cant put your hand on heart and say the work has been done to the regulations! Plus for you to sign-off the EIC you will need to be registered under Part 'P' with one of the schemes (ELECSA, NAPIT etc ...) or as you state, go thro' LABC with associated costs.

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

The only thing that im now unsure of is what Murdoch said.

Why, if i am fully qualified (2394/2395) for testing, why do i need to be part of a scheme??

I was under the impression having 2395 (and expreince) allowed me to test someone elses work?

Do you mean test somebody elses new installation work - if so you can't, but if you mean do EICR's on "existing" installations yes. Your question is a bit open ended, and hence my first response.

Reply to Local Council and Inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net