Discuss MICC Cable - phase to earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What you could do is to get an alert box from a fire alarm, strip the whole thing down and remake the pot on the end of it but this will only work if the pot has the earth link on it (forget the proer name for it but it's a bare earth wire soldered in to the pot) if it doesn't have this you'll have no earth continuity

ok cheers and what if this doesnt work is there any way i can make any MICC into box without a pot connection - is there any new technology that can overcome this problem - i guess im looking for a quick fix -)
cheers

There are no quick fixes for MICC cable, and there has never been a method of taking a MICC cable into a box without either the sheath or the pot being clamped. I'm getting a distinct impression you are somewhat outside of your comfort Zone working with MICC cable. If so, i suggest getting someone in, that's happy and confident to undertake such repair work to MICC cable...

From the symptoms if only L is low I would suspect the pot, damp in the insulation will show all IR readings down.

Out of interest, what’s wrong with 300KΏ. Leakage = 0.7mA.
I certainly wouldn’t loose any sleep over it.

I don’t know where this 1MΏ minimum came from. I suppose it’s a quick fix for the modern electrician. When dealing with old installations you have to take a pragmatic approach.
I was brought up to calculate the maximum permissible leakage current as 1/10,000[SUP]th[/SUP] of the circuit OCPD or in the case of a motor the FLC.

OED.
Pragmatic:
Adjective,
Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations:

Reply to MICC Cable - phase to earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views
A silly fault in a circuit only 4m long is currently eluding me! This is ECIR remedials of a landlords supply in a block of flats. Circuit 2 =...
Replies
Views
Hi, while carrying out an EICR at a farm cottage on Friday i came up against a problem early on. Whilst measuring the Ze the reading i obtained...
Replies
Views
Hi gentlemen, I have three phase motor has an issue. This motor is star connection. When I just disconnect the power cable coming from MCC...
Replies
Views
I'm practising EICRs on friendly locations as I'm still in training - technically done my 2391-52 but frankly need loads more practise. I've just...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock