Discuss MICC Cable - phase to earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello Gents,
I have a low IR reading on a lighting circuit - the circuit is 50 years old - i believe the fault is at the pot connection as there has been a downpour of water on this connection - I was going strip back the sheath and identify the point where the IR reading high - I was looking to connect the cable to an adaptable box , and then connect the outgoing from the box with FP 200 - Problem is I am struggling obtain an imperial pot to gland off at box - is there anything on the market that will enable me to connect the MICC cable into an adaptable box which will 1) maintain my earth continuity and 2) prevent any further moisture ingress in the existing healthy cable.

Thanks

Sparky 63

Hello Gents,
I have a low IR reading on a lighting circuit - the circuit is 50 years old - i believe the fault is at the pot connection as there has been a downpour of water on this connection - I was going strip back the sheath and identify the point where the IR reading high - I was looking to connect the cable to an adaptable box , and then connect the outgoing from the box with FP 200 - Problem is I am struggling obtain an imperial pot to gland off at box - is there anything on the market that will enable me to connect the MICC cable into an adaptable box which will 1) maintain my earth continuity and 2) prevent any further moisture ingress in the existing healthy cable.

Thanks

Sparky 63
If this circuit is 50 years old I doubt very much that this will be the cause if it was well made off at the installation date unless someone without proper knowledge has been buggering about with it.
As has been suggested, get a heat gun on it.

and tell us the IR reading that you consider low.

The really old smaller size cables I have come across quite often are difficult to work with , as they are very small and if buried in the wall have been prone to corrosive reaction with the cement and plaster , so I would be careful with them ,,,,

be fair. he might have needed to go to the offy for beer. :26:

First you do as said in previous posts, if this doesn't help, then get the size of the cable by looking on the pot for a number, see if there is a compatible size in metric, or source a pot that fits.
If you are unsuccessful then as the end is no good cut it off. Now the tricky part. Carefully dismantle the pot assembly, cleaning all parts carefully, make sure you get the three indentations out where the disc sits you can then re-use the pot and use new compound and a new disc. You should have a good termination It can be done, I have had to do it.

First you do as said in previous posts, if this doesn't help, then get the size of the cable by looking on the pot for a number, see if there is a compatible size in metric, or source a pot that fits.
If you are unsuccessful then as the end is no good cut it off. Now the tricky part. Carefully dismantle the pot assembly, cleaning all parts carefully, make sure you get the three indentations out where the disc sits you can then re-use the pot and use new compound and a new disc. You should have a good termination It can be done, I have had to do it.
I've never had to do it, how did you handle the olive mate?

heatr gun first option. one of those you strip paint with, but don't overheat the pot. the compound will disintegrate. another option is to hit it with 1000V P-E. leave tester on a bit and see if the reading increases.

I've never had to do it, how did you handle the olive mate?

Cut the pyro as near to the olive as you can at one end, using pliers work the remaining bit of pyro out, use a small file to open the ends of the olive, you will still have enough on it to grip the newly made termination. At least mine did, and it got me out of a hole (not literally)

Try unsealing the pot, not taking off,just the fiber disc, sleeking and get as much of the compound out as you can, in other words expose the end to the atmosphere and try, as someone else said a heat gun or a low flame torch, I had this many moons ago and it worked perfectly,

ok cheers and what if this doesnt work is there any way i can make any MICC into box without a pot connection - is there any new technology that can overcome this problem - i guess im looking for a quick fix -)
cheers

ok cheers and what if this doesnt work is there any way i can make any MICC into box without a pot connection - is there any new technology that can overcome this problem - i guess im looking for a quick fix -)
cheers
No sorry, not if you're looking for it to last another 50 years

Reply to MICC Cable - phase to earth fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net