Discuss more van expense. costing a fortune. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
yep, just had to splash out another £40 on the van, for MOT. (passed), was only 12 months ago i spent £40 on the last one. (oh, forgot, had to bung in a stop/tail bulb in March, another 99p ). :confused:. now i got to save up the pennies for a gallon and a half of oil coz. the oil change is due yet again !

I've got a VW Sharan . It needs the gearbox out to change what used to be called a slave cylinder. Hundreds of pounds for what used to be cured with a seal kit for a few quid..
Ah well , that's progress.

seems they're making it more and more difficult to DIY repairs. time our trade got up to date and made all electrical equipment tamper proof, e.g. security screws on all sockets and switches, with only electricians being able to purchase the special tools required.

It's almost impossible to do any work on the engine without the diagnostic equipment , unless you have the cash to do the process of elimination.
Even the oils are specialized , and the days of one part fits all are long gone.

I tend to not look under the bonnet any more. To replace the headlight bulb on our car you have to remove the front grill and entire headlight unit, what is that all about.

my diagnostic equipment consists of a hammer. if a hammer and the test lamp. 90% of problems found.

I tend to not look under the bonnet any more. To replace the headlight bulb on our car you have to remove the front grill and entire headlight unit, what is that all about.

Some of them you have to have the bumper off too.
One of the higher German marques is one of them.

just recently fitted LED H4 headlamp bulbs. thought i had a struggle as i had to wriggle one between the headlamp and the air filter. took me 5 minutes longer than the other side. :D

@Taylortwocities
It is lol. 135bhp
It had a new clutch fitted just before I bought it . It had the dual mass conversion fitted , obviously he did not fit a new centrifugal slave cylinder , or if he did it was a cr**p one.
I am in two minds to send it to the chapel of rest. I will not have done 3000 miles in it during the past four years due to ill health.

We need somebody to start a thread so people can share their horror stories about van running costs and reliability ........................ that could be an eye opener!

just recently fitted LED H4 headlamp bulbs. thought i had a struggle as i had to wriggle one between the headlamp and the air filter. took me 5 minutes longer than the other side. :D
Are they as effective as the standard halogen ones as I have read some have reverted back to the originals.

tried some of the better halogens. these LEDs are vastly superior.white light, at least 50% more light on the road. no problem with compliance as van just passed MOT. think they were under £20 for 2. fleabay.

2x CREE H4 Hi/Lo 9003 HB2 26000LM LED Car Headlight Kit Double Beam Bulbs 6000K
( 401319848450 )

Reply to more van expense. costing a fortune. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net