Discuss mounting systems for welsh slate roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Was going to ask the same thing! Is this part of a proprietary PV mounting system? It looks a little flimsy to me and I'd be concerned about wind loading amongst other things. It just doesn't look strong enough to me.

Incidentally, I mentioned drilling through slates to mount rails to the roofing contractor we use on our installs. He screwed his face up. I can't tell you what he said since I believe this forum has a pretty good swear filter. Suffice to say, he didn't think much to it.

I have around 50 install under my belt, and I have used various types of mounting systems, and to be honest the hanger bolts sit tighter than your normal roof anchors.

One other thing, have you found that over-tightening of the bolt cracks the tile?

You can adjust the nut on the bottom so you can drill literally the entire hanger bolt into the joist and then tighten up afterwards. You don't want to tighten too tight and you will know when you do because the rubber seal squashes.

Hi, I'm glad I re-opened this subject because as we all know it's a tricky one to deal with!

Mark W, you mentioned hanger bolts are an approved method - but are they approved for slate roofs and who says they are approved?

Thanks

Hi, I'm glad I re-opened this subject because as we all know it's a tricky one to deal with!

Mark W, you mentioned hanger bolts are an approved method - but are they approved for slate roofs and who says they are approved?

Thanks

Who do you want to approve it, the manufacturers of course! Of course they are approved for slate rooves that's what these specific hanger bolts are designed for. With any other roof you'd use a standard bracket!

Mark

Can you submit a link to the documention where you say the manufacturers recommended this type of fixing for slate roofs please as I have only seen them recommended profiled sheeting or corrugated sheeting.

I didn't say anywhere that it is the recommended method, there are a number of methods of fixing to a slate roof. This is the method I have found most effective.

Speak to your supplier. I've had enough!

Best of Luck!

Mark C,

I find your attitude to the people on this forum rather aggressive and abrupt! You seem to take peoples questions as some form of personal critism which in my opinion isn't the case. I believe we are just trying to learn from one another the best possible approach to challenging problems whilst keeping within MCS rules and manufacturers specifications. You have stated in a previous reply to MarkC ...

"This is an approved method of installation and the hanger bolts get bought from segen for this us"

I have looked on the Segen website and cannot find any documentation which states they are approved for slate roof mounting so I was rather hoping that you could direct me to where this is mentioned. I was incorrect in my previous e-mail using the word "recommended" I meant to use your word "approved" so my apologies for that.

All I and others are trying to do is exchange ideas and it seems that slate roofs are problematic and there isn't an ideal solution. Perhaps the method you describe is the best offering.

If anyone else has some considered opinions on this subject great!

Let's get this sorted quickly....!

This is an approved method of installation and the hanger bolts get bought from segen for this use. I always show the customer what is involved and they are more than happy to have their tiles drilled as long as it is water tight, which it is!! Try it for yourself before you slate this method, excuse the pun!
I did not say that I drilled an M8 or M10 size hole throught the joist, I drill a pilot hole with a 2mm drill bit and from the outside drill the hanger bolt into the joist! It would be ludricrous to drill an 8 or 10mm hole!

View attachment 2881View attachment 2883View attachment 2882

Charm down Mark, Just asking the question! As I said I'm NOT slating the work. It looks like a good installation method (As I said in my post).

I accept this is an approved method and was asking how you over come the customers concerns over drilling through their roof. I know some of my client would rather we didn't remove and replace tiles let alone drill them.

And where did I say you are drilling 8 or 10mm holes? I asked how you over come the building regs using this method? I assumed from the picture the bolt is a M8 or M10. Not that the bolt is like a coach screw? Not having used these I don't know.

Mark C,

I find your attitude to the people on this forum rather aggressive and abrupt! You seem to take peoples questions as some form of personal critism which in my opinion isn't the case. I believe we are just trying to learn from one another the best possible approach to challenging problems whilst keeping within MCS rules and manufacturers specifications. You have stated in a previous reply to MarkC ...

"This is an approved method of installation and the hanger bolts get bought from segen for this us"

I have looked on the Segen website and cannot find any documentation which states they are approved for slate roof mounting so I was rather hoping that you could direct me to where this is mentioned. I was incorrect in my previous e-mail using the word "recommended" I meant to use your word "approved" so my apologies for that.

All I and others are trying to do is exchange ideas and it seems that slate roofs are problematic and there isn't an ideal solution. Perhaps the method you describe is the best offering.

Solgen.

Have I upset you? I certainly didn't mean to. I was only asking how Mark W over comes issues I know I would be asked about. I certainly didn't mean my post to be aggressive or abrupt and I have re read my post and can't see what I have said to upset.

I sincerely apologise if I have offended.

Mark C

Last edited:
Hey Mark. Chin up mate. This is probably the most useful thread I have followed on the forum. The information you have shared is really valuable and if I get a slate roof I will be using this method. As electricians I appreciate how nervous we all are about roofing. I think if the manufacturers instructions are followed, what's the problem. I think another way is to use a lead/aluminium slate but this is only from pictures I have seen over the past couple of weeks. I haven't had an install yet but I know this is a problem I will have to deal with in the future. I like the idea the the rubber seal starts to squash and so you are able to gauge the tightness. It wouldn't suprise me if the was a measurement in newtons in the manufactures instructions as well to get the correct torque setting. A phone call to them could establish that and if you're as interested as I am you will probably look into it further. Experience is king in this game and I think it would be foolish to ignore the advice of someone that has done over 50 installs.
Thanks for the photos you posted and sharing the knowledge

Last edited:
Well said GPack.

I think you have summarised and hopefully diffused some of the tension around this subject. If anyone does have any reference to manufacturers instructions for the use of Hanger bolts I would appreciate if they could post it on this forum.

Solgen.

We used this system on our Mcs assessment and discussed it at length with the assessor he was more than happy with our install and took a lot of pics of it . We know a consultant for BRE and he recommended it, this same person has Pv installs numbering in the hundreds having installed Pv for 9 years .Its a system which is also used on solar thermal a lot ,but its horses for courses you have to decide whether its the right mount for the roof ,we looked at other mounts first but on some jobs the spacing between battens was too tight to use a hook or fixed mount ,also the rafter size needs checking as these bolts are quite thick and should only be used on rafters of suitable size

Mark C,

Solgen

I apologise if I come accross abrupt, it's my personality! ;):eek:

I accept that we are here to discuss ideas, but I don't actually see anyone coming forward with any......!:confused: I mentioned that I have done many slate roof installs and this is the best method I have found.

All anyone can say is they don't like the idea of rubber seals or they don't like drilling through roof tiles, wind loading and stability, when they haven't seen it or felt it. No reason as to why they don't like the rubber seals or drilling through tiles.

I just wish I had a forum like this to ask for advice before I started installing. I had to find out the hard way, many hours spent on the phone to suppliers discussing various methods, and yes it does feel like my installs are being criticized.:mad:

Trust me I would not go drilling through customers rooves without doing my homework first.

Anyway best of luck to all you installers, :D

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
No one is criticising your installations. Don't take things personally!

We were just discussing methods and showing an interest in yours. I do have concerns about the rubber seals, although as I've already stated, probably without justification.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to try your method when we get a slate tile roof job :)

Hi All

Funny how things happen. Saw our PV Supplier today and in the boot of his car he had one of these! Hasn't now as I have it!!

Hopefully will make this post make a little more helpful now we can see the entire hanger.

Attachments

• Hangerbolt 1.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Hangerbolt 3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Hangerbolt 2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 128

Reply to mounting systems for welsh slate roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net