Discuss mounting systems for welsh slate roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't really want to 'cheat' the system, I've PM'd Admin and hopefully my posts will arrive in due course.
In the meantime, if you go to Google Images and search for Unirac Two Piece Standoff and Flashing then you should see plenty of lovely pictures.

Jason has sorted out my posts.
If you go back to page 8 the images are there, and a couple of posts below that is a link to a pdf document concerning installation of the things.

Hi there, we have more than 1 MW of PV system installed (domestic, commercial) all over Europe and couple domestic in UK. Maybe it is not case in UK (temperature is not going below zero often), but when applying constant pressure on tile roof (even minimal), thermal expansions over time does the job. After several years slate tiles with hanger-bolts tends to not leak, but to crack. Also hanger-bolts tend to bend a little under panel weight (as I said, no snow in UK, maybe not the case), but even little is enough to create pressure. We had serious problems in mountain areas 2 years ago, had to remove panels and change mounting system and tiles. Hilti or K2 has got bracket mounting system for slate tile roof, check their pdf manuals, they have also mounting instructions there. Hanger bolts we use only for metal / aluminium roofs.

We've looked at many roofs lately with damaged, broken or completely missing slates or tiles. The residents had not even noticed so certainly no major leaks... Just wondering if the roofers are protecting their own interests somewhat...

Has anyone heard of the new building regs stating that you are no longer allowed to drill through the roof or was this just a bad rumour ive heard??

Not new regs, it's revised / expanded guidelines for the LABC, and is about to hit a series of right royal challenges (some justified, some not) that will see speedy retraction / rewrite.

What you you may be thinking of is the guidlines for screwing into rafters. Ironically there is a BS (5658 if I remember correctly) plus Eurocode that cover this.

The problem is that nearly all (except 2 that I know of) the roof hooks have come out of germany where the use of timber in the roofs is very different from ours, net effect if you use any of the 100+ roof hooks out there, you are not complying with the BS and Eurocodes, so are in breach of the Building Regs. Rather than give a solution, they have given an interpretation which says:

Distance from screw to edge of timber must be at least 4 x screw diameters

So that means that their is no way you can screw an 8 mm hanger bolt into a rafter unless it is at least 72mm wide!

Last edited:
Can i point you to building regulations BS5268-2 and you will find that hanger bolts will not probably meet the BS requirements + also i dont think any manufacturer will warranty 10 years using this product in slate + would you want to garrantee the EPDM rubber washer/mastic will last 10 years in welsh weather conditions?

Hey Worcester. As a side point whilst were on Building Regs, do you mind me asking which brackets and screws you would use for a trussed roof with concrete tiles with 35mm rafters?
Also does the local building control officer get involved in your installs or is it enough to be part of a cometent persons scheme?

G PACK You need 6mm screws to comply with BRE regulations on a 35mm rafter which HILTI sell and are approved under Eurocodes along with item - MSP-RHC-B HILTI ITEM - 435504

Has anyone got some actual photos of a thin slate roof being installed with a normal anchor and flashed over, step by step would be ideal.

Oops sorry was supposed to get some and send them on to you - those pesky customers keep getting in the way! Doing one on Thursday is that too late?

Thanks! Didn't realise that much of the roof needs to be stripped back! Did see something else I want to ask, the panels were butted up to each other, don't they need an expansion gap to all edges?

Thanks for the picture, Gordon. This is a similar method to ours. Our brackets are somewhat different to yours so we can't install the bracket under the timber like the way you do it. Looks neat and tidy, thanks for posting it.

Dansk

Hilti have customers who have sent over ways of installing on slate roofs with a great finish that will not allow water ingress or damage to the tile, if you send me over your email address i will forward the photos

Reply to mounting systems for welsh slate roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net