Discuss my 17th edition knowledge or lack of....... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TEZ0263

After 10 years as a jib industrial spark, Im looking at maybe starting up as a DI. Now the thing is, yeah i have my 17th but I wouldn't say I'm 'up' on the in's and out's of whats inside that big green book. I know bits and pieces, but being an employee all these years means I have never really had to think much about things like - breaker size, cable size, voltage drop etc etc as its almost all done for you, your given a roll of swa and told to run from a to b, or your passed a schedule and you pull in the size of cables it specifies and so on.

I'm slightly concerned that my lack of use of the regs is going to slow me down as i look to go self employed, what are your thought on this?

T.

I have never done industrial but if you have half a brain you should be fine. On site guide is useful for CCC of cables etc. Most domestic work is straight forward enough. You may need to gen up on earthing arrangements/types and on building regs issues a bit ie fire/joist notches/chases etc etc.

You will have to buy a dust pan and brush mind. I know how you industrial sparks don't like tidying up after yaselves!!

In your shoes id be inclined to either stick with your job as mentioned often on here - why demote yourself into a market saturated already where earning a crust is getting harder... you have industrial experience so take advantage... as for your lack of practical use of the calculation side and reg's referencing maybe you really need to get your head back in the books and years of sitting back letting others do all the design is no excuse really , you should have still been double checking that no errors had been done in design. You have let your teachings slip away so you will probably feel well out of your depth trying it alone ... maybe stick where you are for the moment and calculate all the jobs your given for a few yrs to get the practice in ... as you have the design already done for you you have a good point to reference your results to and see if you come up with the same circuit design.

Here we have a quandary.
What’s a JIB industrial spark?*
An industrial electrician or a contracting cable jockey? If you’re an industrial electrician you would have no need of the JIB.

* Two things:

1. I’ve spent all my life in heavy industry latterly in a position to hire and fire. The JIB cuts no ice with the employer. Qualifications and experience are the key.
  2. I detest people referring to themselves as a spark. You are an electrician! (Or not as the case may be)

i would have thought that while doing the work you might have had enough interest to understand/question why you were doing what you were told to do.

Here we have a quandary.
What’s a JIB industrial spark?*
An industrial electrician or a contracting cable jockey? If you’re an industrial electrician you would have no need of the JIB.

* Two things:

1. I’ve spent all my life in heavy industry latterly in a position to hire and fire. The JIB cuts no ice with the employer. Qualifications and experience are the key.
  2. I detest people referring to themselves as a spark. You are an electrician! (Or not as the case may be)

New JIB grading perhaps?

When i was at sea thes where the blokes who dealt with dots and dashes

Reply to my 17th edition knowledge or lack of....... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net