Discuss My first big job, made up of lots of little jobs, please help with pricing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

don't think your estimate is far out. i'd be looking @ 4 days labour £1000 , but london prices i'd think would be 30% higher. remember a call-out in london a firm went on. immersion heater not working. electrician reset over heat cou-out. waited 5 mins to ensure water was heating, 15 minutes total on site. bill was £250 + VAT.
Wow that is what I call taking the p**S!!!!

As your sockets are just replacement, that's probably about right. At least you havent got to lift floors, run new cables, etc.
I would up your per downlight price by a tenner each. there's a lot of messing about with those, especially if you are on your own.

Beware of assuming wall lights will be an easy swop. they aren't. (Hobby horse time).
The MD of companies making wall lights should be COMPELLED to try and install one of their lights. Often they are only just able to accomodate one single cable in the housing and supply a stupidly small terminal box to do this. Often you'll have two or more cables to deal with.
Then you'll find that the supporting brackets can't go where you want them to go because theres a great big hole from the old wall light, or because the cable runs just where the support screws are to go.... its fun (not).
Those plaster fittings are a challenge too. You'll need a cranked right angled screwdriver to get to the screw head.
I'd add at least half an hour to your assumed time for each light.

Materials price. Even for mates I add 20% to my cost. More for everybody else. He may be a nice man, but you have a living to make.
If you buy materials you have to add your time to identify the products, order, collect or take delivery. That's all your value add and your time. And then you will take on the responsibility for the materials.

Taylor,

Thanks for all the detail, out of curiosity if you get a wall light like you have described what do you do lol?

Wow that is what I call taking the p**S!!!!

You've got a lot to learn about being SE, and earning enough to make it worth while.

Just keep a tally of all the hours you spend visiting clients, doing paperwork, going too suppliers, doing warranty calls etc .... It adds up a lot.

Taylor,

Thanks for all the detail, out of curiosity if you get a wall light like you have described what do you do lol?
Thats the benfit of you supplying the materials. That way you don't buy a wall light ( or anything) that doesn't suit the application.

That is one of the reasons that I hate customers buying stuff. Its like Forrest Gump
"you never know what you're going to get".

boy this guy must be working for nothing in London .looking at is estimate
no labour then. you are out there to make monies not give it away.
but he says the person how owns the places is a really nice person.
what happens when he does not pay is bill!

boy this guy must be working for nothing in London .looking at is estimate
no labour then. you are out there to make monies not give it away.
but he says the person how owns the places is a really nice person.
what happens when he does not pay is bill!

The guy who I had the issues with last night and still waiting to ring me to meet up was really nice too

Taylor,

I found myself in exactly this type of situation. The solution I used was to sink 25mm boxes into the wall behind the lamps. The terminations were made and secreted in the boxes. When the lights were fixed in place, it made an enclosure that could not be opened without tooling and you could not get your fingers inside. Took longer than expected, should have investigated the existing lights more thoroughly when I went to quote as all the terminations were contained in the body of the old lamps.

I have not changed and tbh dont know how to change my profile from trainee to whatever it should be, also how do you quantify when your no longer a trainee, Im registered with NICEIC, insured etc does this make me no longer a trainee lol??

Have a chat with one of the staff, send them a copy of an invoice and providing you meet the other requirements you should be able to get access to The Electricians Arms.

It's a bit of a gamble on how long an accessory change can take too, normally easy and quick until you find some where the original has been really badly done, short cables in sockets then L&N the opposite way round on the new ones,metal switches that need a new earth link from the backbox, plate screws cross threaded then rammed in, fun when they shear off taking them out etc etc. I'd look at the entire job in terms of days then allow a bit on top for snags, having said that though the OPs target hourly rate seems high to me.

If your unsure just agree a day-rate with your customer. Tell him you can't be sure how long some of the jobs will take so its best for both parties if you charge just for your time. Your neck of the wood about £180 a day. If you have to get any gear put 20% on top to cover your time getting it.

Reply to My first big job, made up of lots of little jobs, please help with pricing! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net