Discuss Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What paperwork have you got to show them? (particularly what qualifications?). I found the guidance NAPIT send you about what they expect to see to be pretty clear, stuff like evidence of calibration, evidence of Public Liability Insurance and if doing EICRs Professional Indemnity, complaints procedure and records, waste disposal policy - although I believe some of that may no longer required, just read what they've sent you. Best of luck.
you what?

whats this got to do with Napit Nick?

or any other scam for that matter....

But that states, only if you wish to do EICRs through them, of which there is absolutely no need to be a member of a scam for this.

I don't believe it adds any cost to the membership and you need the Professional Indemnity for EICRs anyway so I can't be bothered to get my torch and pitchfork and head up to Mansfield about it. I can understand people finding it irritating that they should be creeping their tentacles into this.

If you want to do eicrs under their banner they want you to have PI. Simple. No extra cost.

to be honest I can't see why anyone wouldn't have it. Although using it may be a different thing.

And since when have the other scams required you to have a inspect and test course? As this certainly was not always the case.

If you want to do eicrs under their banner they want you to have PI. Simple. No extra cost.

to be honest I can't see why anyone wouldn't have it. Although using it may be a different thing.

We all know the arguement that you don't need a 2391/2395 to do EICR just be "competent". But you're right, why wouldn't you want to have it. Having it doesnt prove you can inspect & test but having it adds weight to your competency credibility.

If you have it then you can atleast claim at some point you were somewhere along the competent to test & inspect line! Without it you you're having to do further justification.

Im amazed that EICR's havent been incorporated somehow in the Part 'P' banner to atleast show some inclination to controlling who does them -- the schemes could then require a formal insp & test cert. At the moment literally anyone can do them --- I did some "correction work" for one completed by an appliance fixing engineer!

Yes I have 3 certs, just to let you know been in touch with Napit and you can do a restricted full scope, sigh, in a nutshell you can do full domestic including magical locations, but not industrial, and no 3rd party sign offs, lol how much industrial stuff requires part p. Ohhh and guess what restricted full scope does not require inspect and test certs, all for a small fee of £576. Thats a lot of T&E up the chute. Its all so wrong why has the sparky rolled over and accepted this clear exploitation of earnings, I shall be lobbying local government, it's raving bonkers.

Yes I have 3 certs, just to let you know been in touch with Napit and you can do a restricted full scope, sigh, in a nutshell you can do full domestic including magical locations, but not industrial, and no 3rd party sign offs, lol how much industrial stuff requires part p. Ohhh and guess what restricted full scope does not require inspect and test certs, all for a small fee of £576. Thats a lot of T&E up the chute. Its all so wrong why has the sparky rolled over and accepted this clear exploitation of earnings, I shall be lobbying local government, it's raving bonkers.
You should call Elecsa - it may be cheaper, or Stroma

We all know the arguement that you don't need a 2391/2395 to do EICR just be "competent". But you're right, why wouldn't you want to have it. Having it doesnt prove you can inspect & test but having it adds weight to your competency credibility.

If you have it then you can atleast claim at some point you were somewhere along the competent to test & inspect line! Without it you you're having to do further justification.

Im amazed that EICR's havent been incorporated somehow in the Part 'P' banner to atleast show some inclination to controlling who does them -- the schemes could then require a formal insp & test cert. At the moment literally anyone can do them --- I did some "correction work" for one completed by an appliance fixing engineer!

oh for christs sake....:nonod:

I'm really annoyed about these schemes, how do they cope with a european spark that wants to work in the uk, this needs lobbying in numbers.

listen boys:

there was this story i was told..oh a while back now..

twas an `electrician` from spain (possibly from barcelona)...goin round wirin stuff up..

it was all TN-C how he`d done it.....all of it i was told....lol...

all for a small fee of £576

Suggest you find out how much the others are to sign up to, I was told Stroma is cheap. And then either sign up to the cheapest or tell NAPIT you're going elsewhere unless they match it. I daresay they won't, but I bet they'll come down about a hundred notes or so.

Suggest you find out how much the others are to sign up to, I was told Stroma is cheap. And then either sign up to the cheapest or tell NAPIT you're going elsewhere unless they match it. I daresay they won't, but I bet they'll come down about a hundred notes or so.
double check on that...

as i`v heard from some posts in here that they`v a load of hidden charges they try to bum you with....

listen boys:

there was this story i was told..oh a while back now..

twas an `electrician` from spain (possibly from barcelona)...goin round wirin stuff up..

it was all TN-C how he`d done it.....all of it i was told....lol...

Bloody hell don't let Pedro near a hospital life support IT type supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say considerably more people have heard and know of the 'British Standards Institute' than any of these Mickey Mouse outfits like NIC, NAPIT etc etc.

Where clients have a perception of anyone being market leader / gold standard, they usually seem to think it's NICEIC, though it galls me to say it

I have no comment to make about whether BSi actually stands for Bureaucratic, Slow & Inefficient.

From what i can make of it the EAL 2364/65 is an open book examination, so not much different than NAPIT's own brew 2391!!! Makes you wonder, what's the bloody point to it all!!! ....Apart from money aspect that is!!

You would be surprised how many highly technical industrial sparks would not know the routine for a domestic test, they would fully understand the principles but the actual parts that need to be done like checking the ring r1+r2 and Zs etc im not sure they would do it naturally.

You would be surprised how many highly technical industrial sparks would not know the routine for a domestic test, they would fully understand the principles but the actual parts that need to be done like checking the ring r1+r2 and Zs etc im not sure they would do it naturally.

I would indeed be highly surprised if an industrial electrician wouldn't be testing ring circuits correctly, and even more surprised if they didn't test for Zs values. Routines are exactly the same for industrial installations as they are for domestic/commercial installations. They will also in many cases, be conducting tests that are outside of anything laid out under BS7671...

Exactly, the tests are fundemental and should be used in domestic, commercial, industrial and any other electrical application I cant think of!

This is what was found on the board , many industrial sparks didn't seem to know the full testing principles as well as those on domestic , this was found to be the case when periodic trade tests were carried , I seem to think that testing was left to certain individuals and the engineers who would be with them when carrying out the testing , this was the case until the mid 90s , but then the contracting side had dwindled since then ,,

I do also think this is due to the company procedures , and that many other industrial individual sparks would be more conversant with the testing aspects ,,,

That expalins why we get those questions "im a fully trained industrial spark but dont know how to ....."

You're right , because going back to those times there was less emphasis on that side of things , I could remember only filling out a basic installation cert that had basic results , that was standard within the company , NIC certs etc were also quite basic if you go back , so there are some very good craftsmen out there that have been brought up with that culture that have worked within larger companies , so I suppose its inevitable that some are asking questions about testing aspects now,,

Don't forget , things like sizing of cables , specifying of equipment , installation requirements etc , was all left to engineers etc to work out,,

Well i was in the industrial sector way before the 90's and i can assure you that the maintenance electricians at the company i did my training with, could teach the average domestic electrician a few things when it came to testing installations... Many people these days get confused between maintenance electricians and maintenance technicians that mainly deal with the electronic and programming side of things on production lines and the like. But even they would be conversant with most aspects of testing, with the rising role of the multi skilled operative at industrial plants etc....

The standards of the domestic spark have dropped considerably in the last 20 years or so , despite the part pee and registration schemes , and what they may say , there was an equivalence between domestic and industrial sparks at one time , and if you look back to the way larger companies like the old boards and their regimes back then , we were considered as being the same and moved around freely from one side to the other and this enabled all guys to see the other side of the work , this no longer happens and now you either do one thing or the other and is divided ..
So its easy to say todays industrial spark is more conversant with testing principles ,,,

The standards of the domestic spark have dropped considerably in the last 20 years or so , despite the part pee and registration schemes , and what they may say , there was an equivalence between domestic and industrial sparks at one time , and if you look back to the way larger companies like the old boards and their regimes back then , we were considered as being the same and moved around freely from one side to the other and this enabled all guys to see the other side of the work , this no longer happens and now you either do one thing or the other and is divided ..
So its easy to say todays industrial spark is more conversant with testing principles ,,,

It's called, Deskilling of the Industry Ray...

I can only relate to the industrial electricians that i knew over the years and those i know of now. On that basis, i would say the industrial electrician has a far more in depth knowledge and experience of testing principles, that are not restricted to those laid out in BS 7671, but will include LV/MV Switchboards, Transformers, protective relays, etc...

I know what your saying there.

Im kind of lucky that the firm im with is still ran by old school electricians that swap you around from domestic,comercial or very rarely industrial.

We had subbies here before that had never seen a conduit bender before and didnt know what cam locks are.

Another only delt with twin and was useless at anything else and worked best with a broom in his hand

I spent 10 years installing tray ladderacking conduit micc, swa, twin and skin,you name it I have installed it, I tested nothing, that was the job of the commisioning engineers. Thats the way it was done.

Reply to Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net