Discuss Networking in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DuaneMHunt1976

NB if this is in the wrong place sorry, just move it.

I asked a Small Business Group (Nottinghamshire)
"Question? Ive done all my Qualifications, Insurance and Joined a Governing Body, to be an Self Employed Electrician.How to get my name out there (suggest a Banner and sorting one out now) but any other suggestions. I really dont know how Cow Boy Electricians do it when I cant and I've got the Skills/Qualifications/Insurance!
Willing to Travel, was thinking Nottingham, Lincoln, Doncaster, Peterboro way as being Based in Newark means i have A46/A1 cross over and simple drive. I dont want to be PUSHY or Spam people, people only need Electrician when they do! and i'm guessing most To LET/Land Lords have someone.... So Suggestions "

https://www.4networking.biz/Events/Details/59617
Which is some BreakFast Club for ADULTS for Networking, ÂŁ12. Clicked on a few videos and seemed to be MOTAVATION Speaches kind of things!

Also got this
North Notts Business and Property Show 2015 - Home
North Notts Business and Property Show 2015
I guess they will need Electricians for Properties

Newark Business club | Business Group | Networking | NGNewark Hub | Home of the Newark Business Club
I think ÂŁ5, and it dose have a LOT of companies around Newark, not sure what good they are to me!

So ANY Suggestions, and is this NETWORKING thing worth any thing!

Newark business club might be worth a try. also, set up a facebook page and consider building a website. godaddy or 1and 1 seem to be a reasonable start.

I've been approached countless times to join these "clubs" - and each time I decline.

A decent basic website is a MUST.

Doing a reliable decent job and keeping your commitments and promises is more likely to bear more fruit than getting up early and having breakfast with some complete strangers IMHO.

whom would you suggest as a web hosting.. as ive talked to go daddy and all they (well its their business) is selling you a bit extra here there and every were.. a advert that says ÂŁ5/mth turns out to be a lot higher.

Just peed off, that i hear HORROR stories of Non British Persons doing jobs and then running off, and Cowboys. And i dont seem to get a chance ...

Tho i think its my thinking and i need to put adverts out there...
even on my school reports it says "dosnt make friends easy, seems to expect them to come to him" think i still have that part of me, i just expected to put name out there, join all the community groups within Newark Facebook and be around.
As i didnt think any one would keep a Electricians Number JUST IN CASE, thinking now it will be a more middle class persons, due to them owning the house.

Think im going to have to knock it on the head for a bit and try going back to FLT driving (if it dosnt kill me becuase of so many NON FLT drivers) cash is running dam short.

FLT driving?

Just be aware that setting up on your own, and generating the client base and contacts takes time and effort - and making money the first year will be extremely difficult.

Also i have invested a lot of money already as well as college costs and tools.

But i am ÂŁ1000 in debt what is scaring me
May have to do 3mths with a company and then see from there, any way all the FLT Driver jobs are always TEMP
CARROTS with MAYBE full time, I want this business so i have some thing to hand over to my sis boy
so i can do some thing i enjoy doing, so i dont have such rubbish managers that nearly Kill people or drive a warehouse to a halt.
Last manager, cant remember what name he called me, all because he Ref to a Nigrian as all Theifs to a Nigrian man.
So when i did hear of this i did guess what was going to happen, Lowest DOG gets kicked.
Dont like a company were the Manager is only the manager becauase he is the Husband of the MD Daughter.

Also dont like working for companies as it shows of my Dyslexia, i think bleeding at the hands i can handle.

Short term, get Clients and to get MONEY coming in, if that means selling my body to stay in XRated movies then so be it, but odds on it will be medical research lol

But may have to do the FLT for Christmas and then see from there,

Also i have invested a lot of money already as well as college costs and tools.

But i am ÂŁ1000 in debt what is scaring me
May have to do 3mths with a company and then see from there, any way all the FLT Driver jobs are always TEMP
CARROTS with MAYBE full time, I want this business so i have some thing to hand over to my sis boy
so i can do some thing i enjoy doing, so i dont have such rubbish managers that nearly Kill people or drive a warehouse to a halt.
Last manager, cant remember what name he called me, all because he Ref to a Nigrian as all Theifs to a Nigrian man.
So when i did hear of this i did guess what was going to happen, Lowest DOG gets kicked.
Dont like a company were the Manager is only the manager becauase he is the Husband of the MD Daughter.

Also dont like working for companies as it shows of my Dyslexia, i think bleeding at the hands i can handle.

Short term, get Clients and to get MONEY coming in, if that means selling my body to stay in XRated movies then so be it, but odds on it will be medical research lol

But may have to do the FLT for Christmas and then see from there,

why not do agency/temp electrical work whilst building up your own customer base?

as he says ^^^. try and get some subbing or agency work. try rullion, if they operate in your area.

I hate to say it, but a ÂŁ1000 in debt isn't very much. If you're going to self employed, you better get used to the 'feast and famine' way of life...
I was 5-6k in debt by the end of my first working month. AND that was 20yrs ago!
As others have said, perhaps some temp work whilst you build a customer base and get some money behind you.

I hate to say it, but a ÂŁ1000 in debt isn't very much. If you're going to self employed, you better get used to the 'feast and famine' way of life...
I was 5-6k in debt by the end of my first working month. AND that was 20yrs ago!
As others have said, perhaps some temp work whilst you build a customer base and get some money behind you.

A guy from College helpped me out with some onsite work. Talking to me and getting me to do things, i think he is balancing 7000, 5000-6000 20yr ago dam must of had some sleepless nights.

I cleared it, and covered the 10k it cost me to set up the business within 6 months are starting out. Yes, it took 80-100 hour weeks but I havnt been back in debt since. Work hard, work smart and you'll never look back

Hi
a person told me a few years back when you go alone make sure that the money you layout is that what you are prepared to loose, in other words if you are doing a job for a client & they are not coming forward with the money on time then don't let it mount up until you can't afford to go on. have a walk away point, when we got knocked it was a lot more, we now have a limit & that is it. it was good advice for me. I should also explain not walk away & not go back but you need paying before any more works are completed.
also put on your quote that all materials belong to you until final settlement of invoice.

Last edited:

Reply to Networking in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net