Discuss new circuits onto an AMD3 board with RCBO's - ref 18th ed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning a house extension and will need to add 3 more circuits to my existing board. My current set-up is a metal CU with all circuits on RCBO's. Will I be able to add circuits to this board under 18th Ed or will i need a board swap to make room for all the extra surplus surge protection and afdd stuff?

surge protection and afdd 's are optional. i would just add the rlevant RCBOs. make sure they are same manufacturer,

Just to add to the above. If you require any or both of the devises for the new circuits then you don't necessarily need to change your existing board. You could add a small CU next to the original one.

It depends if you have the space or not, assuming you can still get the same make/model of RCBO when the time comes.

SPD is a good idea, but typically it needs 2 module spaces to add it, though it can also be added in a separate enclosure if wanted. It is optional, though highly recommended.

AFDD may get foisted on us, but for now are very much optional and only seen in high-risk or very high-value properties.

Personally I'd get rid of the BG board as they are cheap and nasty ? Get the existing RCBO's checked to ensure they are working OK. I dont agree that SPD's are optional on a CU change.

Personally I'd get rid of the BG board as they are cheap and nasty ? Get the existing RCBO's checked to ensure they are working OK. I dont agree that SPD's are optional on a CU change.

Agree. False economy to omit SPD if a new board is being put in.

48hours ago we had a power cut that came straight back on here in mid suffolk, its killed our cctv monitor and my surround sound system?‍♂️must have been a surge as was ok the previous day. I dont give customers the option and now wish there was one in my board too, the cost of those 2 items alone is approx £500

Sometimes it is just the switch off/on that kills stuff, but equally if you get a high over-current fault being cleared (like a cable coming down due to the weather) that can cause significant voltage spikes. So not always lightning for SPD use!

Sometimes it is just the switch off/on that kills stuff, but equally if you get a high over-current fault being cleared (like a cable coming down due to the weather) that can cause significant voltage spikes. So not always lightning for SPD use!

Definitely. Switch mode power supplies can run for years and years, but if the start-up capacitor dries up then you're knackered if the thing is powered down and you expect it to re-start.

Definitely. Switch mode power supplies can run for years and years, but if the start-up capacitor dries up then you're knackered if the thing is powered down and you expect it to re-start.
Ah no my surround sound powered back up but is fu***d, doing all kindsa weird stuff, weirdly the psu for the cctv is fine, but the PCB in the screen is stinky

Reply to new circuits onto an AMD3 board with RCBO's - ref 18th ed? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net