Discuss New CU Installation (is it a good job)? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forty_Two

DIY
Reaction score
We have lived in this house for 40 years. The main house is served from a CU under the stairs. About 20 years back we had a 2 room extension built and that is served via a 2nd CU in the garage. Because I want to get an EV charger installed i needed to get the (sub) CU in the garage upgraded. I got that done and I would very much like your trained eyes to tell me if it is 'good' job or at least good enough to pass inspection.

At the end of this thread I will explain why I ask this question and YOU will find the story 'interesting'

Attachments

• CU Garage 1.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 95
  • CU Garage 2.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 89
  • CU Garage 3.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 93
  • CU Garage 4.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 99
The busbar cover is not in place, yet the consumer unit appears to be energized?

I'd normally use cable entry glands on the top & bottom as required, not stuff all the cables behind the casing and in through the back. Hopefully they aren't being crushed.

There appears to be possibly an armoured cable going behind the consumer unit? If it is armoured then I don't see where is it glanded (if in fact it is connected in there).

Also, these units come with clamps for the tails, so if you don't fit a proper gland the tails can be secured, though being squashed against the wall might do that job anyway!

Last edited:
The busbar cover is not in place, yet the consumer unit appears to be energized?

I've searched google for busbar covers and see pics of them but can't visualise where they go. Is this something that would fail an inspection?

If the installer failed to fit the busbar shield then it has been left incomplete and not installed as per the manufacturers instructions. Get them to rectify it.

Here is a photo of a larger version (same brand) showing the busbar cover, also the tails clamps.
1643450208315.png

I don’t see anything too bad, apart from the missing shield and I suspect a 3 core armoured with unknown glanding.
Grommet strip on the rear hole in place, so that’s good. Many don’t bother.

Space for SPD, but not used? I would think they should have fitted one as this board will be used for EV.

I like how the conduit with the mains cable just casually passes through the box for the gas meter. 😁

So…. Give us the tale of what happened.

So…. Give us the tale of what happened.
I employed and electrician recommended on my neighbourhood web site.. From the start I’d told him I wanted the job ‘certifying’. The job took him 2 hours (including a cup of tea). I paid him £350 and he gave me an NICEIC Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate. I did some checking . . . . the NICEIC have no record of company name on the certificate and no record of NICEIC enrolment number, the address on the certificate is a random retail shop and the telephone number does not exist!

It seems clear that this man had the necessary skills to do the job / he knew what he was doing. You (electricians) may be able to tell me why he would counterfeit the NICEIC certificate – why would he do that?

Did he claim to be NICEIC registered?

What colour are the forms?

Mind you, the dodgy address is not a good sign!

to not pay the massive entry fee to be part of the NICEIC, even though i believe the domestic installer listing is a lot less.

It can be a problem where the actual members of the NIC are more of a cowboy than some unregistered, but thats another matter.

If you've already contacted the NIC, they may already be investigating this company, as they do not like people using their name illegally.

Did he claim to be NICEIC registered?
He gave me an NICEIC Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate with his name on and an NICEIC enrolment number.
I (the customer) know that there are various qualifying/certifying organisation e.g. NICEIC, NAPIT

Can we see all of it.
It's 4 pages. the first page is all names and address here's the second page and I can see that there is a few errors in there . .
the single phase value is in the three phase box and the value is wrong should be 377 A, not 1.1 kA. There's also an error in the maximum demand box, he's put 80 A, but also noted that the main fuse is only rated at 60 A. There is an anomaly in the value of Zs, the loop impedance recorded. The loop impedance cannot be lower than the external earth impedance

Attachments

• cert21.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 62
Schedule of test results is a list of the circuits, the mcb size of each circuit, cable sizes, Rcd times etc etc.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to New CU Installation (is it a good job)? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net