Discuss New house - does the CU comply to the current regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

UPDATE:

The homeowner is a friend of the misses ......... so she asked the developer about this and a couple of other snags in the house.

Their response to the question of the OCPD's was:

"
Concerning the Over Current Protective Devices on circuits

1 - Cooker, 60898 Mcb 32 amp rating

2 - Immersion, 60898 Mcb 20 amp rating

3 - Smoke Detectors 60898 Mcb 6 amp rating

(1) These circuits do comply with current regulations as 17th edition Amendment 3 states :

Cables at a depth of 50mm or greater in a wall ,as long as said wall is not constructed with metal framework (property is timber framed) that are mechanically protected do not require rcd protection."

So fair enough, but I'm still more than a little curious how they can prove any of the above ............. as nothing is stated on the certificate and any subsequent EICR would almost certainly result in a C2 ........ because no inspector is going to start pulling the house apart to look for this confirmation.

Personally I would have put the smokes on the lights, and the oven and immersion on the 2 RCD's

Very odd.

Maybe the spark concerned is on here and has read this thread.

So if you are ............. no I'm not with the NICEIC, I'm registered with Stroma !
But on a eicr cables concealed in a wall less than 50mm from surface would be a C3 and not a C2 ,timber framed walls and solid block work with no mechanical protection and no earthed containment

But on a eicr cables concealed in a wall less than 50mm from surface would be a C3 and not a C2 ,timber framed walls and solid block work with no mechanical protection and no earthed containment

Not sure I agree with that for such a new property ............. sure a C3 for an older property...

Not sure I agree with that for such a new property ............. sure a C3 for an older property...
But what’s the difference with the age?
It’s either potentially dangerous C2 or a recommendation of safety is recorded C3.
If it was tested in the recommended 10 years,age would count for nothing
Agree that if it’s new it’s more of a non compliance issue.

^^ thats a very interesting "grey" area.

An installation under the 17th ed should have RCD protection for the cables .................. so we can give up fitting RCD's for cables in walls and lighting and everybody is happy?

NO but that is why we apply the correct code.
Which in whatever installation regardless of age it would be a C3 for timber frames and block/brick work.
If you tested this property in 5 years surely you would not C2 it.
When the 16th changed to the 17th and rcd protection was required for cables in walls then it didn’t render all the 16th edition installations dangerous over night or with in the space of a few months or 1 year.

For me if this property was being sold and a eicr was required from the buyers solicitor, I would code this non compliance a C3 regardless if the installation is 1 year old or 20 years old.

Last edited:

Reply to New house - does the CU comply to the current regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net