Discuss new light fitting blowing breaker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i'll lend out my neon screwdriver for a modest fee.

i was suspicious about if i had correctly identified the switch so on top of using a continuity/polarity indicator i have nicked a MFT from someone to test the continuity and it does confirm its the switch wire. got a reading and then flipped the switch to get an open circuit so i am going to try testing the circuit more indepth later in the week.I am wondering if i should try and replace the switch to see if its the issue, will post back later with an update.

not sure if this would be considered good practice, but have you tried connecting the incomming live and neutral to the lamp connectors directly missing out the switch and switch wire altogether to see if that trips the breaker.

I’m sorry but two cables doesn’t give a lot of options.
If you’ve borrowed a MFT do you know how to use it?
A competent electrician will find the fault within ¼ hour.
If building modifications have been done the chance is cable damage!

Reply to new light fitting blowing breaker in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views
can anyone please advise on where the wires go? My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. Asking for some diy advicd… I’m trying to add a couple more security lights to the existing...
Replies
Views
DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have recently encountered that my circuit breaker for the upstairs lights keeps tripping. I flick it back on and immediately it trips...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock