Discuss new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

no to sure diib dont need them officially till july 1st but they get published on jan the 5th

If you bought the regs in january you would be buying them again on july 1st complete with amendments from march,April and may..are they called the regs because you need to buy them on a regular basis?

If you bought the regs in january you would be buying them again on july 1st complete with amendments from march,April and may..are they called the regs because you need to buy them on a regular basis?

From Jan to June you can design and install to both standards but you must install to the new regs from July. I would not want to design to the 'old' regs in this period and risk the start date of a job being delayed. Then you may be caught on the back foot and look incompetent.

nah. if the job is designed to current regs. and installed after the update, the design to the regs at time of design takes precedent.

nah. if the job is designed to current regs. and installed after the update, the design to the regs at time of design takes precedent.

Implementation Dates:
1st January 2015 - The Third amendment to BS 7671:2008, The IET Wiring Regulations, became effective on this date. Following this, contractors have a six month transition period to get up to speed with the changes and can design, install and certify to either the new or previous standard.
1st July 2015 – From this date it is a requirement that all electrical installations designed and periodically inspected comply with the updated regulations. Contractors will be expected to hold a copy of BS 7671:2008, incorporating Amendment 3, for any assessment visit taking place after this date.
1st January 2016 – Regulation 421.1.201 (PROTECTION AGAINST FIRE CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT) comes into full effect.

But installations will be being designed this year to amendment 2, the work though may not be carried out for another year or 2 due to building works not being being completed butntenders need to be in so the jobs can be cost.

Implementation Dates:
1st January 2015 - The Third amendment to BS 7671:2008, The IET Wiring Regulations, became effective on this date. Following this, contractors have a six month transition period to get up to speed with the changes and can design, install and certify to either the new or previous standard.
1st July 2015 – From this date it is a requirement that all electrical installations designed and periodically inspected comply with the updated regulations. Contractors will be expected to hold a copy of BS 7671:2008, incorporating Amendment 3, for any assessment visit taking place after this date.
1st January 2016 – Regulation 421.1.201 (PROTECTION AGAINST FIRE CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT) comes into full effect.

It will need to of been designed before 1st January 2015.

well, my quotes are all pre-dated 1990 so i can install to the 15th. :ack2:

It will need to of been designed before 1st January 2015.

It clearly says ALL INSTALLATIONS. We always put in our quotes that works are to be installed to the current edition of BS7671. Plus who keeps quotes open for a year or two with copper prices the way they are. I am sorry but after July 1st you should not be installing to a previous version of BS7671.

Why not?

What if a job starts this year but continues past July next year?

What do you mean why not? Because we are told to. Because the law states we follow BS7671 and that is what we are here to do. If it was me I would start talking with my clients and advising them of their options. Ultimately after the 1st July you cannot work to an old version of the regs. We all have 6 months to sort this out so therebis no excuse. I really was expecting better than this on here.

What do you mean why not? Because we are told to. Because the law states we follow BS7671 and that is what we are here to do. If it was me I would start talking with my clients and advising them of their options. Ultimately after the 1st July you cannot work to an old version of the regs. We all have 6 months to sort this out so therebis no excuse. I really was expecting better than this on here.

What law would that be then?

You do realise that BS7671 is only a guide and not a statute document, meaning we can choose to ignore it completly if we wish?

we all cant be the best spark in the commercial sector can we.

What law would that be then?

You do realise that BS7671 is only a guide and not a statute document, meaning we can choose to ignore it completly if we wish?

I knew you would say that. And a typical comment from a not very intelligent electrician. The building regs (which is law) state that all electrical work must comply with BS7671 so if you do choose to ignore BS7671 then you would be in breach of the building regs.

Also any court within the UK would use the BS7671 document as a bench mark for installation standards just as they use the Highway Code for traffic offences even though that document is also not law as you put it.

With advice like yours who needs Domestic Installers?

Reply to new reqs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net