NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Blackmail

Discuss NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In Court, when you are being cross examined you will be asked about Part P, which you will acknowledge understanding of as you claim to be a competent person.

The next question will be why didn't you disclose this requirement to the homeowner?

Then you are bxllxcked.
Would you though? As long as you can prove that the install complied with BS7671 when you walked away from it then the problem would never arise.

Ok, you'd be in breach of part p but I've yet to see any prosecutions for non notification.

In Court, when you are being cross examined you will be asked about Part P, which you will acknowledge understanding of as you claim to be a competent person.

The next question will be why didn't you disclose this requirement to the homeowner?

Then you are bxllxcked.

If you have the part p qualification surely you can use that as evidence:what:

Sorry mate but you are wrong:

Extract from the latest version of Part P:

"Section 3: Certification, Inspection and Testing

General

3.1 For notifiable electrical installation work, one of the following three procedures must be used to certify that the work complies with the requirements set out in the Building Regulations.

a. Self-certification by a registered competent person.

b. Third-Party certification by a registered third party certifier.

c. Certification by a building control body."

Which I read as the installer is responsible

nothing written there contradicts my quoted statement.

if fact , option c just re-inforces my other comment that a homeowner can employ a non scheme installer and have LABC certify , if that is what they choose to do.

I have no problem paying a fee each year BUT WHAT I OBJECT TO is the fact that my fee is the same as the 10 man operation down the road with 1 x QS, so their fees are 10% of mine.

This is what needs sorting out!

I believe Biff is right,its the responsibility of the person having the work done to make sure the building regs are complied with,its not the spark doing the work,he is responsible for the standard of the work only

I think the only mention the Gov make about the subject is "It is assumed the tradesman will make the householder aware of the building regs"

Thats all just as well because we are sparks and not some sort of Government information agents

Companies feel more comfortable if a contractor is an NIC member as it means someone is verifying there work complies with regulations and is to a high standard (or susposed to be (so hold your fire))

Or a fraction of a percent of it. You only have to look at the recent NIC blurb relating to the ratios of qualifying supervisors to see how work is monitored within large companies

Its the government of the day that organises Part P

The working man's party who were the government of the day in 2005 decided Part P was a good idea and saddled us with useless and unnecessary legislation which the NIC and others using some of the money paid to them are now underhandedly trying to reform to improve their stranglehold on the electrical industry and perpetuate the poor training that is a by product of their governance of the domestic sector
The problem now is whichever organisation you choose to go with they all seem to be joining forces to get the best deal they can from the government so they can continue their legalised rip off

Part P is one of the Building Regulations (the law) and merely states that Electrical Work must be done safely and lists the premises to which it applies.
It is not a qualification.

The notification requirements are listed in the general parts of the Building Regulations - Part 3. 12. (6) with -

12. (1) This regulation applies to a person who intends to—
(a)​
carry out building work;

Whether you think that is the owner of the premise or the electrician could be argued.

Approved Document P is a guidance and has no legal standing.
Although it includes the relevant laws, the rest of it is not the law.

Some interesting points!, some right, some not so!.

It always turns into a round of NIC bashing!, tbf it's getting a little boring!.

Operationally they are no better or worse than the others, the process for acceptance is robust and effective. They have a bigger and more effective name than the rest, that's never going to change.

Of all of the names and logos, NIC was the most identifiable probably after the old Corgi. But they have been around a lot longer.

Forget domestic, you can join any if the circus's for that, but the NIC has been the yard stick for years for commercial, before part p came about, it was the given measurement for those awarding commercial contracts, nothing had changed and like it or not that's still the way it is.

You want to work on these areas, you pay your money, get your recognition and get on with it!. Nothing much has changed

It's also fair to say, they are not much more expensive than their rivals, and the rivals open NO commercial doors. I pay my fee, I have my assessment every year or so. I do my job properly so he never finds much, we have a good chat and then they leave me be till next time.

Last edited:

Reply to NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net