NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Blackmail

Currently reading:
NICEIC Certification Scheme NICEIC Blackmail

Discuss NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some interesting points!, some right, some not so!.

It always turns into a round of NIC bashing!, tbf it's getting a little boring!.

Operationally they are no better or worse than the others, the process for acceptance is robust and effective. They have a bigger and more effective name than the rest, that's never going to change.

Of all of the names and logos, NIC was the most identifiable probably after the old Corgi. But they have been around a lot longer.

Forget domestic, you can join any if the circus's for that, but the NIC has been the yard stick for years for commercial, before part p came about, it was the given measurement for those awarding commercial contracts, nothing had changed and like it or not that's still the way it is.

You want to work on these areas, you pay your money, get your recognition and get on with it!. Nothing much has changed

Rubbish! The difference between NIC and CORGI/Gas Safe is that it is a legal requirement for gas engineers to be gas safe qualified to carry out work on gas pipes etc. the NIC and all the other schemes are self governed, profiteering leeches who are in no way affiliated with the IEEE, who electricians are legally required to adhere to

Rubbish! The difference between NIC and CORGI/Gas Safe is that it is a legal requirement for gas engineers to be gas safe qualified to carry out work on gas pipes etc. the NIC and all the other schemes are self governed, profiteering leeches who are in no way affiliated with the IEEE, who electricians are legally required to adhere to

What has that got to do with any of what I have just said, I diddnt even mention gas safe as most domestic customers have no idea who they are. My point was that after probably only Corgi, the NIC is the next most publicly recognised brand in construction, I drew NO comparisons between the two.

You mentioned CORGI, which is now Gas Safe, which is a legal requirement for gas engineers to be a member of in order to carry out work on gas installations. Councils/clients have a right to demand that gas engineers are members of gas safe. They do not however have the right to demand that electricians are members of NIC or the like because there are no legal requirements for the electrician to be a member of such a scheme to carry out electrical work. All this about NIC setting the benchmark what nonsense being a member of NIC does not make you a good spark. Demanding that sparks be a member of these schemes is bordering on infringement of human rights!

You mentioned CORGI, which is now Gas Safe, which is a legal requirement for gas engineers to be a member of in order to carry out work on gas installations. Councils/clients have a right to demand that gas engineers are members of gas safe. They do not however have the right to demand that electricians are members of NIC or the like because there are no legal requirements for the electrician to be a member of such a scheme to carry out electrical work. All this about NIC setting the benchmark what nonsense being a member of NIC does not make you a good spark. Demanding that sparks be a member of these schemes is bordering on infringement of human rights!

Again nothing to do with what I was saying........again

Look up the term "brand awareness" on google, that's my point!

Oh and councils, specifiers, contracts managers etc can quite legally require you to be NIC without breaking any laws, if they are engaging you as a company they can ask you to be a Jedi knight or a magic prince if that's what takes their fancy

I've edited the swearing out of your post, you know the rules. Next time I will give you an infraction thanks.

Again nothing to do with what I was saying........again

Look up the term "brand awareness" on google, that's my point!

Oh and councils, specifiers, contracts managers etc can quite legally require you to be NIC without breaking any laws, if they are engaging you as a company they can ask you to be a Jedi knight or a magic prince if that's what takes their fancy

I've edited the swearing out of your post, you know the rules. Next time I will give you an infraction thanks.

There was no swearing in my post! Councils do not have the right to refuse an electrical certificate because an electrician is not a member of a scheme

Hightower judging by your posts you are obviously an NICEIC member. Are you happy with the product you receive for paying out £1000 every year? Or are you just happy to be getting the work because you are a member? This is my point sparks are getting their arms twisted to join. If the NICEIC didn't exist every electrical installation would still be completed without the need for how many £1000 each year out of sparks pockets. The JIB and HSE are in place for monitoring standards

There was no swearing in my post! Councils do not have the right to refuse an electrical certificate because an electrician is not a member of a scheme

Yes there was, I've just edited it out, you won't be warned next time.

No the council can't refuse a proper bona fide cert, BUT if it's subject to a ongoing contract and the contact specifies ONLY NIC companies then yes they are well within their rights to refuse it

Hightower judging by your posts you are obviously an NICEIC member. Are you happy with the product you receive for paying out £1000 every year? Or are you just happy to be getting the work because you are a member? This is my point sparks are getting their arms twisted to join. If the NICEIC didn't exist every electrical installation would still be completed without the need for how many £1000 each year out of sparks pockets. The JIB and HSE are in place for monitoring standards

Yes I am and it's more like £450 a year!. Not much more than the others.

As for the Jib I wouldn't give them the time of day, go to their HQ in Sidcup and they still are working in the dark ages, and my NIC reg has opened plenty of doors where my JIB card is nothing but hassle!.

The jib is not fit for purpose!

As for rough NIC sparks, yes there are some, there are also plenty of rough Napit, elecsa, apprentice trained sparks etc etc! There good and bad in all of them! A registration doesent make you a good spark, your either good or not

Had a similar thing many years ago doing security installations where NACOSS / NSI were always specified yet when challenged they backed down and accepted SSAIB as an equivalent

When I ran a company years ago that was NICEIC approved I was never asked what qualifications I had or asked to produce them they checked a few jobs ran through a few tests checked for the correct documentation ( insurance and regs etc) and left us alone for another year don't know if it's changed now

As for the Jib I wouldn't give them the time of day, go to their HQ in Sidcup and they still are working in the dark ages, and my NIC reg has opened plenty of doors where my JIB card is nothing but hassle!.

As for rough NIC sparks, yes there are some, there are also plenty of rough Napit, elecsa, apprentice trained sparks etc etc! There good and bad in all of them! A registration doesent make you a good spark, your either good or not

Well if you're quite happy for some has-been to come out with his briefcase and check up on your work and eat your digestives then fair play but it won't be me

I'm not going to get into this argument, all i will say as far as NICEIC goes, is that the NICEIC of today is not the same NICEIC it was of yesteryear. Compare and they will look like two completely different companies. They have ceased being the logo of ''Approved Contractor'' excellence in favour of increased membership and the inevitable money train.

Organisations like the NICEIC are only interested in one thing - and that's lining their own pockets.

They do little or absolutely NOTHING for the hard working spark at the coal face, nor do anything about the cowboys.

Turkeys won't vote for Xmas

Organisations like the NICEIC are only interested in one thing - and that's lining their own pockets.

They do little or absolutely NOTHING for the hard working spark at the coal face, nor do anything about the cowboys.

Turkeys won't vote for Xmas

Why would they, when their core product is not much more than a Label of excellence, that's been paid for by the holder!! lol!!

Any fees need to be levelled "per" sparky, not per organisation. That's where we should be united.

That does really rub me up, I live very close to the HQ of NG Baileys and it racks me off that they have the same inspection with the same engineer and pay the same fee as little ole me! I have to agree with you 100%

well , not quite.
Your local council may insist on nic registered companies for tendering of their own contracts on their own buildings , but they cannot insist on the public the same brand preference without breaking many EU fair trade / business competition regulations.

and its the later point which the LABC's over step the mark , both regulary & illegally ,
and as such is the core issue of the OP's thread.

My advice to anyone in napit or elecsa whom feel they are excluded unfairly should contact their schemes legal team and ask for direct support of your behalf.

and they will , in fact they have no choice to as if they refuse , they are basically saying theyre not prepared back thier own brand against the competition , which is business suicide.

and why is that ?

from where im stood the jib is the only club that you cant buy your way into.
and at £24 for 3 years membership its decidedly better value.

and why is that ?

from where im stood the jib is the only club that you cant buy your way into.
and at £24 for 3 years membership its decidedly better value.

There inability to answer simple enquiries or turn anything around in a timely manner,

Visit them at Sidcup and it's like a trip back to the dark ages!

I like the principles and concept it's the delivery they lack in!

Reply to NICEIC Blackmail in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock