Discuss No spare way on DB for new cooker circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NewSpark65

Hello all. This is my first post so please excuse any novice errors! I have just been to a customer who is putting in a new cooker and had no existing cooker circuit. They have run 10mm cable from the kitchen back to the board and wanted it connecting up. I took a B40 mcb with me but there is no spare way on the board (they thought there was) so I am not sure how to proceed. Does it have to be a new DB or can I connect a small RCD protected DB to the existing one? Many Thanks

Welcome to the forum ..

Please PM a mod' and request entry to the Trainee section where you questions are more suited to your level.

Please note you should not be carrying out any paid work or even for family/freinds unsupervised as you are not qualified or yet classed as competent to do so as a Trainee, we will not give advice in a situation where you will be carrying out work which should be supervised... you need to ask whoever is supervising your work on this job to answer your questions.

We are happy to help you through your Training etc with your queries but we cannot give help where it will be used to do work you shouldn't be doing on your own.. hope you can appreciate this.

Last edited:
Thanks Darkwood. The existing Hager board is RCD protected but is a small 6 way board. One for fire alarm, three for lights, two for sockets. It is a DIY kitchen which they have run the cable (10mm) in for, but yes it is within the correct zones and I would be happy to sign to that effect. As you say, they don't fancy the "business end"

That's a very polite nicely worded reply Darkwood.

Newspark65, I would imagine there's room for a bit of jiggling about with the existing setup, but as others have said, you need to speak to your mentor or work along side a suitably competent person to undertake the work. This is a very basic question you are asking which says a lot about the level you are at so can only advise you take everyone's advice.

Thanks Darkwood. The existing Hager board is RCD protected but is a small 6 way board. One for fire alarm, three for lights, two for sockets. It is a DIY kitchen which they have run the cable (10mm) in for, but yes it is within the correct zones and I would be happy to sign to that effect. As you say, they don't fancy the "business end"

Your reply here may confuse others - I edited my helpful post when I reviewed your profile in your still in training - please re-read my revamped post and contact a member of staff to get access to the Trainee area of which you have stated you are in your profile.... You luckily read my pre-edited version that gave advice but it within the forums policy not to promote or advice on work that you should not be undertaking with a mentor or supervision, if you have either of these than ask them to guide you in this instance, by the jist of your post it sounds like you are doing paid work without qualifications or competence given the question you asked (exceptable trainee level question but not if your practicing work).

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it.
Regarding your question I would be very wary of agreeing to connect up and certify a cable run by others, you are then taking responsibility for their work and stating that you have done this work on the certificate (unless you are using a three signature form).
You can do either option you mention but you do need to know why you are doing that choice and be sure that you are installing a suitable circuit that will meet the requirements of the regulations.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it.
Regarding your question I would be very wary of agreeing to connect up and certify a cable run by others, you are then taking responsibility for their work and stating that you have done this work on the certificate (unless you are using a three signature form).
You can do either option you mention but you do need to know why you are doing that choice and be sure that you are installing a suitable circuit that will meet the requirements of the regulations.

The OP is a Trainee so he cannot sign off any work and should be supervised if undertaking such work - hence the jist of my posts... but still a good point!

Reply to No spare way on DB for new cooker circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net